Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    it seems like the only way forward now, i have joined grammar 6th form from state school, been going through hell, (i know i have made other threads related to this) but i need help, i have had low attendance due to being ill most term and i HAVE caught up, but they want a meeting with my parents,

plus i had a interview with my form tutor who said and i quote" your gcses grade show you dont really have a chance in medicine" and they were all As,

im having such a miserable time here, cant get along with most people there and its not that i havent tried at all, ive given 100% but when people are so stuck up, theres no way you can really get along with them, shall i jut take the year out rather than failing and having to redo AS, im soo upset,

will taking gap year affect my ucas for medicine?? please help,

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you change your path to do medicine, if you're worried about your grades. So do something like biomedical sciences which is related to medicine and should catch your interest, then once you've graduated from the 3yr course, apply through graduate entry into medicine which is then only a 5/6 yr course.

That way the unis that your applying to cant see your GCSE or A level grades - they're not even allowed to ask for them, and they base your application on your degree grade. You need to carry on moving forward, not backwards.

Like the idea?

ReputationRep:
    If your GCSE grades were all A's then your tutor sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about - they are good enough for medicine at most universities.

To be honest, if you just stick with it – it's only two years – then that's better than quitting. I know more than a few people who were in a similar position to you, but they persevered. It's never as bad as you think it's going to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    If your GCSE grades were all A's then your tutor sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about - they are good enough for medicine at most universities.

To be honest, if you just stick with it – it's only two years – then that's better than quitting. I know more than a few people who were in a similar position to you, but they persevered. It's never as bad as you think it's going to be.
    but i am scared that they might be kicking me out due to my attendance rate, its 84%, i have been admitted to hospital,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambrin ox)
    but i am scared that they might be kicking me out due to my attendance rate, its 84%, i have been admitted to hospital,
    There is a valid and genuine reason for your low attendance rate. There is no way they could kick you out.

Just for the record, I went to a grammar sixth form and my attendance was around 65%. While I did have letters written home and the Head had words with me a few times, nothing was ultimately done. In fact, since about Year 11 my attendance has been appalling and they never did anything about it.

So, I doubt 84% with a genuine medical reason is going to get you kicked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    There is a valid and genuine reason for your low attendance rate. There is no way they could kick you out.

Just for the record, I went to a grammar sixth form and my attendance was around 65%. While I did have letters written home and the Head had words with me a few times, nothing was ultimately done. In fact, since about Year 11 my attendance has been appalling and they never did anything about it.

So, I doubt 84% with a genuine medical reason is going to get you kicked out.
    believe me, knowing my stupid 6th form, that is the step they will take, they have already kicked a girl out, i think i am next on the list,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.