Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

Currently I am working at Next as Christmas Temp, but today was the first shift I had to call in saying I couldn't make it due to all buses being cancelled. They didn't sound very accepting on the phone, but I know there's nothing more I could do.

However, my question is regarding them using the snow as a reason not to take me on as a permanent member of staff - I've had good signs so far from my manager regarding being taken on. However, if they turn round and say that the snow is a key factor and we can't take you on, do I have any rights to say this is unfair?

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't have any reason to use that as an excuse, you cannot penalise someone for a factor (such as snow) which was unforseen

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they would say anything about the snow when giving reasons for not keeping you on but if other xmas temps can make it in, they might see you as unreliable etc (even though it's not your fault) and decide to hire someone who they deem more reliable to their needs. Don't worry though, I was an xmas temp at RI and I called in sick on xmas eve saying I wouldn't be in on boxing day (HA!) and was still offered a permanent contract! Lol, then again I guess I could just be amazing

ReputationRep:
    Given how bad the snow is in some areas, I think they'll be ok with it.

I think they just sounded annoyed that they've lost yet another staff member to the snow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    I doubt they would say anything about the snow when giving reasons for not keeping you on but if other xmas temps can make it in, they might see you as unreliable etc (even though it's not your fault) and decide to hire someone who they deem more reliable to their needs. Don't worry though, I was an xmas temp at RI and I called in sick on xmas eve saying I wouldn't be in on boxing day (HA!) and was still offered a permanent contract! Lol, then again I guess I could just be amazing
    Yeah- i agree.
    The snow is bad in some areas though so they should be ok with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine it gets annoying when stores are -5 staff per day in the snow (this is what it was like in the department store I worked in for last year's now. Though they had a good laugh when I rang in stranded halfway after all busses pulled in and stopped). I doubt they'd really hold it against you personally, it's just the week it is. Best of luck in getting kept on.

ReputationRep:
    Most of country is in that boat this week- and a lot of them have been for a couple weeks more, so I really wouldn't worry.. as long as you're a hard worker

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.