Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a good biography/ autobiography.

Although I'm not picky I haven't had much luck in browsing as I always find something that puts me off. So could anyone give a suggestion and brief description as to what they enjoyed about it so I can make a more informed decision

I've read autobiographies that are based on child abuse and neglect, etc - including Pelzer's 'A Child Called It' - so something different would be nice. Perhaps something witty or insightful would make a nice change

ReputationRep:
    Lennon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrichardson21)
    Lennon.
    Reviews are good but suggest that it wouldn't be enjoyable to someone who knows little about Lennon. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Russell Brand
    Ronnie O Sullivan
    Gordon Ramsey

Are all good. They're both coming from humble roots and making it in a way, RB and RO both involving drug problem stories.

Moab Is My Washpot - Stephen Fry
      Down the Highway: The Life of Bob Dylan - Howard Sounes
      A Million Little Pieces - James Frey

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
      I'm looking for a good biography/ autobiography.

Although I'm not picky I haven't had much luck in browsing as I always find something that puts me off. So could anyone give a suggestion and brief description as to what they enjoyed about it so I can make a more informed decision

I've read autobiographies that are based on child abuse and neglect, etc - including Pelzer's 'A Child Called It' - so something different would be nice. Perhaps something witty or insightful would make a nice change
      If you sign up to the free newsletter at http://www.geoffthompson.com (you can always unsubscribe straight away) you can download his autobiography 'watch my back' for free.

It's about his time working as a doorman in Coventry in the 80s but it's not just a book about violence, it's how he overcame being bullied and sexually abused as a kid to confronting his fears (his biggest fear being physical violence) and becoming a world class martial artist. He's now a BAFTA winning writer and has started to get in to film making. He's also a bit of a self-help guru and some of his books and articles in the self-help genre have changed my life. It's a great book.
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      Marx - Francis Wheen
      Mao - Jonathan Spence

They are simply written but informative and interesting.

Quantum is good as well but it's not a biography, it just has biographical aspects about various scientists. I reccoment it anyway.

The Dragon's Den autobiogs are reasonably good as well if you're into that kind of thing, as is Ricky Hattons.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by iwwhty)
      If you sign up to the free newsletter at http://www.geoffthompson.com (you can always unsubscribe straight away) you can download his autobiography 'watch my back' for free.

It's about his time working as a doorman in Coventry in the 80s but it's not just a book about violence, it's how he overcame being bullied and sexually abused as a kid to confronting his fears (his biggest fear being physical violence) and becoming a world class martial artist. He's now a BAFTA winning writer and has started to get in to film making. He's also a bit of a self-help guru and some of his books and articles in the self-help genre have changed my life. It's a great book.
      Sounds good. I'll definitely check that out thanks

ReputationRep:
      Jay-Z' Decoded.

Rags to riches + life lessons + amazing art? :ahee:

Read the reviews to see if you like it I guess.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.