Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing A levels advice PLEASE HELP Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 11 and do not know what career I want to pursue. Teachers are constantly asking if I have considered which A levels I want to take. I have thought about a career in medicine like doctor or paramedic but I am not sure if it is the right career for me or not. SO I thought the best idea would be to try to keep my career options as open as possible.

Do you think choosing Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English lang would be a good way to keep my options fairly open while still allowing me to possibly pursue a career in medicine?

Or are their better options for doing so?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ITZ_SNOWIN)
    I am currently in Year 11 and do not know what career I want to pursue. Teachers are constantly asking if I have considered which A levels I want to take. I have thought about a career in medicine like doctor or paramedic but I am not sure if it is the right career for me or not. SO I thought the best idea would be to try to keep my career options as open as possible.

Do you think choosing Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English lang would be a good way to keep my options fairly open while still allowing me to possibly pursue a career in medicine?

Well, firstly you should think hard about what you want to do. Consider your past interests, and what gives you a natural high.

Yeah those A-levels keep you options fairly open, you could certainly do medicine nad a host of other natural science, anthropology/philiosphy/english too perhaps.

ReputationRep:

I'd replace physics with maths because even if you wanted to do physics they prefer maths

ReputationRep:
    Check my blog and the post, the perfect A level combination.

ReputationRep:
    I'd replace physics with maths because even if you wanted to do physics they prefer maths
    I am predicted to get a B in maths and a A or A* in physics.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the in the same situation. I am in the year 11 and want to do medicine at university. I want to do biology, chemistry, geography and english lang at college. The medical schools only ask for 2 sciences, but nearly everyone who i talked to who have applied do 3. Do they give preferance to those who have done 3 sciences or would it not matter??

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it would look better if i did philosphy and ethics or english lang?

ReputationRep:
    Well the three Sciences would certainly help you if you chose to study Medicine after A/AS Levels.To keep your options fully open, I'd consider taking a humanity subject as they are always useful, but if you do not wish to do that, it is up to you. Your choice of subjects are certainly well respected and will allow you to study Medicine after. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I am predicted to get a B in maths and a A or A* in physics.
    You should try and beat that prediction; Medical Schools look for A*'s in particular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey101)
    Do you think it would look better if i did philosphy and ethics or english lang?
    Philosophy and Ethics, definitely. English Language is a "soft" subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey101)
    Philosophy and Ethics - much more preferable than English Lang to be fair,

ReputationRep:
    Maths! It's useful all around if you want to go into anything remotley science like!

ReputationRep:
    Do a well respected arts subject - English Lit, History, Philosophy etc. Make sure it's something you enjoy!

It'll give you a better profile if you decide to apply for medicine, and it'll leave your options open in case you decide you want to study an Arts subject at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Id say your choice of subjects are bob on. If you decide to follow paremdic ( consider carefully) then drop us a message as I am currently studying it @ LJMU. Either way trying to get some work experience or observing etc. would prove invaluable medicene or paramedic either way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.