Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mac users: Office for mac or iwork? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally I use iwork due to the pricing, the speed, and ease of use to get things done that i need.

Though I use excel cause numbers is pretty limited.

ReputationRep:
    I have both, find myself using iwork more due to speed and ease of use. (:

ReputationRep:
    Both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    Both.

What do you use more frequently?

(Original post by DesignFreak)
    I have both, find myself using iwork more due to speed and ease of use. (:
    which version do you have - apparently iwork 11 is on its way soon

ReputationRep:
    Bootcamp - MS Office for Windows.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have Office for Mac...just made it easier when people at school were sending me word documents etc. so I never really bothered using iwork

ReputationRep:
    and Openoffice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seble)
    What do you use more frequently?

which version do you have - apparently iwork 11 is on its way soon
    I have iWork '09 and MS Office 2008.
    (:
    If you do want to buy them legitimately (which i don't) you can download them first and see which you prefer and buy the one you like most (8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I have Office for Mac...just made it easier when people at school were sending me word documents etc. so I never really bothered using iwork
    you can open office documents and save office documents on iwork, so it's all good really (8
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    you can open office documents and save office documents on iwork, so it's all good really (8
    Really? Never knew that! But I'm happy with office for mac, so I'll stick with that =D

ReputationRep:
    iWork

Office for Mac. Recently deleted iWork. I need full docx compatibility (both reading and writing) and I love the ribbon implementation in 2011.

ReputationRep:
      Office for Mac. The .doc and .docx formats are much more widely used.

ReputationRep:
      I use office just because its what I've always used. Also means compatibility is easier, and I like the note function in word. I usually record my lecture and take notes on word I also hear the new office for mac is a big big step up from the older version.

ReputationRep:
      Whilst I use office - good for compatibility, and checking how windows users will see my work on their pc's, no way could i use powerpoint I hate it so much. I think Keynote beats it by miles: the effects and how professional it looks just does it for me.

ReputationRep:
      Office for Mac is a waste of money, however sadly sometimes necessary to work with Windows users.

ReputationRep:
      Office for Mac for Word Processing and iWorks for Keynote (making presentations). I don't really use all the other stuff.

ReputationRep:
      I use iWork myself, I like the integration and the ease of use. Also some of the included templates are great; my Psychology teacher told me that my write-up for an observation I'd done was of 'undergraduate standard' before even reading it just because of the pretty graphs and contents page. :laugh:

The way I see it; Pages is on par with Word, Keynote is better than Powerpoint and Numbers loses out to Excel. Being as I have no need for the features in Excel and create presentations regularly, iWork wins out for me.

I'm looking forward to the new features in iWork 11 (which the rumour-mill says will be out in January). :yes:

ReputationRep:
      I personally use Iwork 08, for college and everything Pages is perfectly fine and I don't have any compatibility issues. If I did need to do complex databases or whatever I might use Office for Mac but I don't. Iwork suits me fine

ReputationRep:
      iWork is better.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.