Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so wth AQA As economics (for unit 1 atleast) as you should know there is a 25 mark essay question at the end. (usually 26 D). Could anyone please give me some tips or a plan on how this essay question should be tackled? (just in general) many thanks. Pete

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterGS)
    Okay so wth AQA As economics (for unit 1 atleast) as you should know there is a 25 mark essay question at the end. (usually 26 D). Could anyone please give me some tips or a plan on how this essay question should be tackled? (just in general) many thanks. Pete
    Start with a definition. If the question asks about subsidies, then define what they are. You also want to include a diagram in the answer, with a full explanation on the outcome of moving Curve X to the left as opposed to Curve Z to the right. You want to put for and against points near the end, and also evaluate if its worthwhile it. You should put some real life economic examples where you can, not necessary, but examiners are allowed to give a couple of marks if it is relevant of the question asked.

um I don't know if that was helpful, but I haven't done these questions in a long time

Your best bet is to do LOTS of past papers, seriously. Then look on the mark scheme and you should be able to get at least a good 20 marks these questions in the future, its just a case of practising until perfection. Gd luck.

ReputationRep:
    1. Define key terms
    2. Explain key concepts and use of diagrams (limit yourself to 2-3 diagrams, and fully explain them; no explanation = no marks for your diagram)
    3. Evaluate pros and cons of whatever you are talking about; a lot of the points from the (d) question will be given to the evaluation of points
    4. Conclude

You'll want to refer to examples and possibly even the text they provide you with every now and then, and it may help you to keep focused on the question if you keep referring back to it. So if the question mentions government failure, make sure to keep coming back to this key term in every paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.ph...ve-evaluation/

You might find this useful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.