Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

10 days in SE Asia - How would you spend them? Need ideas! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching in Thailand at the moment and break up on Thursday 23rd and don't have to go back to work until the 4th of Jan. So I've got 11 days, plus the half day after I finish work on the Thursday to travel. I'm based a bit outside of Bangkok. I was originally planning on doing Northern Thailand with friends, but plans have now fallen through. My 90 days on my visa means that I have to leave and re-enter the country by the 28th of Jan, so I'm thinking that this may be an ideal time to actually do some travelling outside of Thailand and then the 3000 baht allowance I get for my border run can go towards that.

Anyway, so to the point! I don't know what to do with those 11 days, so am hoping that you guys might be able to give me some ideas. I'm going to be travelling alone. Like I said, I'm based a bit outside of Bangkok, so can fly/train/bus to places from there. As much as I want to see Thailand, I kind of think that seeing as I'm here for a year, there are quite a few long weekends and just normal weekends where I can travel around. So it would probably make sense for me to leave the country while I've got a long enough break to enjoy it.

In terms of what I like to do, I like it all. I like the beach, but I wouldn't want that for the full 10 days. Scuba diving isn't an option for me either. So yeah, any ideas or advice if you've done something similar would be muchly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Take a trip down to Malayisa - its awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    Take a trip down to Malayisa - its awesome!
    That's what I was maybe thinking. But if you had 11 days in Malaysia, what would you recommend doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    That's what I was maybe thinking. But if you had 11 days in Malaysia, what would you recommend doing?
    Theres so many places to see - put it this way i had 6 weeks and still didnt get to visit some parts. the most fun i had was like going to the jungle and visiting the orang asli people (natives), seeing how they made weapons n stuff alll from natural material and getting to use them too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    Theres so many places to see - put it this way i had 6 weeks and still didnt get to visit some parts. the most fun i had was like going to the jungle and visiting the orang asli people (natives), seeing how they made weapons n stuff alll from natural material and getting to use them too!!
    That's the thing. So much to see I don't know how to fit stuff into 11 days. I don't really know how much time certain places will take up to see a decent amount of. I should have been more organised, it's all a rush now

ReputationRep:
    I'd spend them finding a wife, then finding out s(he) is a ladyboy. Then fly home, depressed and cry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching in Thailand at the moment and break up on Thursday 23rd and don't have to go back to work until the 4th of Jan. So I've got 11 days, plus the half day after I finish work on the Thursday to travel. I'm based a bit outside of Bangkok. I was originally planning on doing Northern Thailand with friends, but plans have now fallen through. My 90 days on my visa means that I have to leave and re-enter the country by the 28th of Jan, so I'm thinking that this may be an ideal time to actually do some travelling outside of Thailand and then the 3000 baht allowance I get for my border run can go towards that.

Anyway, so to the point! I don't know what to do with those 11 days, so am hoping that you guys might be able to give me some ideas. I'm going to be travelling alone. Like I said, I'm based a bit outside of Bangkok, so can fly/train/bus to places from there. As much as I want to see Thailand, I kind of think that seeing as I'm here for a year, there are quite a few long weekends and just normal weekends where I can travel around. So it would probably make sense for me to leave the country while I've got a long enough break to enjoy it.

In terms of what I like to do, I like it all. I like the beach, but I wouldn't want that for the full 10 days. Scuba diving isn't an option for me either. So yeah, any ideas or advice if you've done something similar would be muchly appreciated!
    A visit to malaysia is a good option! you can travel from north, from perlis where it's really quite cheap to travel there. then you can either choose to go down south through the west coast or the east coast. over the east coast, there are lot's of beautiful beaches. hmm...truth is i cant remember which beach is in which state hehe..check this website..http://travelblog.viator.com/insider...-best-beaches/
    if you are the city type, then do go to the west coast. you can also go to KL. there's also melacca where there are many historical places. then at the south there's Johor state. here you can actually go to a place called Tanjung Piai where it is said to be the most southern point of mainland asia. you can also find rugged and rarefied coastline of unspoiled mangrove forests. then if you have extra time, you can go to singapore which is roughly 1 or 2 hours away. there's also the borneo part of malaysia where u can meet orang asli and many many many other things! hope this short summary helps!

ReputationRep:
    malysia, singapore, kota kinabalu in borneo, philippines....

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Malaysia three times; however it's always been a very family-oriented type of holiday and only one of those times have I been old enough to fully appreciate anything... so it's probably best you do some independent research rather than just go off what I have to say, if any of it even appeals at all (actually, I'm sure that probably didn't need saying!)

The family I have over there are mostly based in Ipoh. We always spend A LOT of time eating One of the best things about M'sia is the informal outside cafe culture. There's lots of good, cheap food and refreshing drinks like Milo (cold chocolate, sort of a Malaysian national drink). Of course the flipside of that the place could possibly be too informal, too vulgar if you want (but you'd be used to a bit of that due to being in Thailand, am I right?)

Another great thing is the shopping facilities. In Ipoh, you got Parkson Grand, Kinta City, The Store, Jusco (think that's still there) as well as other little independent shops and markets. There's Berjaya Times Square in KL. I found some nice clothes/makeup in all these places, as well as cute stationery/ toys/ souvenirs etc. The food is generally not as good in malls I found, but worth a try (and it's mostly cheaper than in UK anyway)

Maybe you like sightseeing? Lots of temples all over M'sia! I think's there's monkeys over at Nan Tian Dong temple at Ipoh. And some temples have souvenir shops. Come to think of it, I didn't see many people here who weren't Malaysian or with family. Thean Hou temple at KL is a lot bigger, more beautiful and more commercial however, and I saw lots of tourists/ foreigners here. Lots of photo opportunities what with all the zodiac animal replicas and the actual temple itself which is massive. I prayed a lot; there's a holy water section, fortune collecting and queues to 'wash the Buddha'.

You might want to look into crossing over to Genting Highlands too, but that could be quite expensive and time-consuming.

Fraid I'm not clued up at all re: beaches, nightlife, hotels and other touristy stuff.

On another note, you could think about Singapore? I went to the Sentosa theme park a few years back, and it's pretty cool although I didn't enjoy it at the time because I wasn't allowed on any of the rides. And S'pore has probably all of the things its neighbour has, but *ahem* classier. It is also less of a culture shock from the POV of coming straight from the UK though; when I went to M'sia earlier this year I wasn't expecting to be subjected to sarcastic "Your Highness"s because I balked at hygiene standards, or be *****ed about by a granny for taking too long in the toilet(!) or to ever get used to squatting and peeing in a hole. And I should have really known! Additional advice: take lots of antibacterial gel, packs of tissues (because believe it or not, not all toilets have tissue) and a fan. Then again, I've never been to Thailand so I have no idea of the 'gap' between there and Malaysia.

Hope this helps! Sorry if I inadvertently patronised you. Have a good time wherever you choose to go

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.