Turkish:A*
    Media:A
    Chemistry:A
    Biology:A*
    Physics:B
    Spanish:C
    Business:C

so i got below in a LOT of my subject
    I'm REALLY not happy with them.But i cant retake i've asked lots of times and its not allowed other than Maths&English,and thats if you get below "C" :/
    I reallly wanna lift my science grades so i can pick them for A-level next year.

i was just gonna ask on advice on how bad these grades are? and how much they will affect me?
    Are they needed in order to get in uni or do they just check a-levels?
    plus is what yyou grade you get for GCSE important unless you get high enough to pick a subject for a-level?
    i mean mostly you need at least a grade "B" in the subject to pick it for next year..
    i dont mind gettin "C" in subjects i dont care about but Sciences are being a major problem..as they are needed to study medicine later on any help?

ReputationRep:
    Why did you perform below teacher expectations?

Pull your socks up for your AS levels. The better your AS results, the less impact your GCSE results will have. That does, of course, depend on your University choices and what part of the application holds the greatest value to them.

Chin up. They are still good results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    My Grades

English Literature-A
    English Language-A
    Maths-A
    History-A
    Turkish-A
    Media-B
    Chemistry-C
    Physics-C
    Biology-C
    Spanish-C (on foundation)
    Business-c

However my predicted grades by teaches were:
    English Lierature:A*
    English Language:A
    Maths:A*
    History:*

I'm REALLY not happy with them.But i cant retake i've asked lots of times and its not allowed other than Maths&English,and thats if you get below "C" :/
    I reallly wanna lift my science grades so i can pick them for A-level next year.

i was just gonna ask on advice on how bad these grades are? and how much they will affect me?
    plus is what yyou grade you get for GCSE important unless you get high enough to pick a subject for a-level?
    i mean mostly you need at least a grade "B" in the subject to pick it for next year..
    i dont mind gettin "C" in subjects i dont care about but Sciences are being a major problem..as they are needed to study medicine later on any help?
    You pass the most minumum requirements, not so sure about medicine though.
    I know it may seem like bad times but trust me those grades are a lot better than other peoples, and remember there is a lot more to life than grades

ReputationRep:
    They will look at your GCSEs with university application but bigger weight will be placed upon your A-levels so you can effectively balance it out (ie. assuming you could then take Biology/Chemistry or whatever at A-level and get an A, they probably wouldn't be fussy about B/C at GCSE) - although med schools maybe be more critical, seeing as it's very competitive, I am not awfully sure of this. Different places weight different things more, so it's hard to give an exact.

Did you do modular sciences? As if so, you will have done 75% of your GCSE before the final exam series I assume and therefore it was those modules which made the mess. In that case, i'd have a plea with your college (if it's anything like AQA, Additional Science do all the modules apart from the last 3 (of Biol/Chem/Phys, which make up the seperate GCSEs). They might want to test you a bit or so but it may be possible. Expect a no though. There's a reason they put minimums on subjects!

Basically: Get in touch with your probable college/sixth form tutors and speak to them about your options and what they will let you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scientific Calculator)
    Why did you perform below teacher expectations?

Pull your socks up for your AS levels. The better your AS results, the less impact your GCSE results will have. That does, of course, depend on your University choices and what part of the application holds the greatest value to them.

Chin up. They are still good results.
    As you can see my grades have nothing to do with my predictions..especially sciences.The things i was kinda going through a bad phase a bit depressed about my crush&friends and the result was me not doing well
    not such a good timing to worry about stuff

Thanks you gace me courage and lifted my mood
    I gave gap year cos of it this year..and my mums kinda going crazy about it
    i was soooo planning to pick chem&bio for a-level as usually i'm quite good at it..

hmm so Uni'd do look at GCSE's but obvi A-Levels are more important i get it..the thing is I cannt pick chem&bio unless i get "B" in GCSE and nowhere really does it
    you can even see i got A in Turkish though its my home language

I was actually expecting to fail physics&spanish and like get good grades in all the others but yh..iyt shocked me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    You pass the most minumum requirements, not so sure about medicine though.
    I know it may seem like bad times but trust me those grades are a lot better than other peoples, and remember there is a lot more to life than grades
    thnx yh life isnt about grades but getting the job i want unfortunately is

what do you mean by minimum requirements?

the thing is i'm actually good at chem&bio as seen by my prediction..only my grades came bad..i guess it was just a bad phased i was going through reflecting on them
    I lost "B" by only a few marks so i'm planning to retake but no idea how
    the only thing i'm positive about is i didnt fail anything :/ which isnt quite positive :'(

ReputationRep:
    thnx yh life isnt about grades but getting the job i want unfortunately is

what do you mean by minimum requirements?

the thing is i'm actually good at chem&bio as seen by my prediction..only my grades came bad..i guess it was just a bad phased i was going through reflecting on them
    I lost "B" by only a few marks so i'm planning to retake but no idea how
    the only thing i'm positive about is i didnt fail anything :/ which isnt quite positive :'(
    I think certain Medic departments want so many A*'s but dont quote me on it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    They will look at your GCSEs with university application but bigger weight will be placed upon your A-levels so you can effectively balance it out (ie. assuming you could then take Biology/Chemistry or whatever at A-level and get an A, they probably wouldn't be fussy about B/C at GCSE) - although med schools maybe be more critical, seeing as it's very competitive, I am not awfully sure of this. Different places weight different things more, so it's hard to give an exact.

Did you do modular sciences? As if so, you will have done 75% of your GCSE before the final exam series I assume and therefore it was those modules which made the mess. In that case, i'd have a plea with your college (if it's anything like AQA, Additional Science do all the modules apart from the last 3 (of Biol/Chem/Phys, which make up the seperate GCSEs). They might want to test you a bit or so but it may be possible. Expect a no though. There's a reason they put minimums on subjects!

Basically: Get in touch with your probable college/sixth form tutors and speak to them about your options and what they will let you do.
    thnx for the info
    yh i did modular sciences OCR..i've asked my schooll about re-takes bu they dont do it and know nowhere that does
    hmmm so i guess if i retake getting a "B" wont be enough i'll try lift it to an "A"

i'll tell you our modules and the grades i got (OCR) so Chemistry:
    C1,2,3 16.5% of my grade i got A
    C4,5,6 16.5% again i got A
    cswk 33% A
    then C7 (the exam that ruined me) 33% I got E

dropping ALL my garde "A's" to a Grade C or you could say B as i lost by 2 marks

it's exactly the same for Biology as well.

so basically i can retake either c1,2,3 or c,4,5,6 or C7 get a few marks and lift my grade
    again same with Biology.

so which module would you advise me to retake? or shall i do more than 1? confusing

ReputationRep:
    My Grades

English Literature-A
    English Language-A
    Maths-A
    History-A
    Turkish-A
    Media-B
    Chemistry-C
    Physics-C
    Biology-C
    Business-c

You get out what you put in my friend.

ReputationRep:
    As you can see my grades have nothing to do with my predictions..especially sciences.The things i was kinda going through a bad phase a bit depressed about my crush&friends and the result was me not doing well
    not such a good timing to worry about stuff

Thanks you gace me courage and lifted my mood
    I gave gap year cos of it this year..and my mums kinda going crazy about it
    i was soooo planning to pick chem&bio for a-level as usually i'm quite good at it..

hmm so Uni'd do look at GCSE's but obvi A-Levels are more important i get it..the thing is I cannt pick chem&bio unless i get "B" in GCSE and nowhere really does it
    you can even see i got A in Turkish though its my home language

I was actually expecting to fail physics&spanish and like get good grades in all the others but yh..iyt shocked me.
    Don't feel "disgusted" by your completely normal behaviour. It happens to the best of us. Do, however, do yourself a huge favour by putting your crush and your friends behind your back. Be ruthless - you deserve it. You obviously have two options.

(1) Keep trying for Medicine. This is most probably the trickier option of the two. It involves you utilising your Gap Year to the utmost degree by resitting/retaking all the GCSE subjects that determine you continuing them to 'AS' and 'A2' level. A word of warning though: do NOT chase medicine unless you genuinely have an incentive to do so. It is NOT the hardest degree out there: if you are looking for academic challenge and rigour, try Mathematics, Computer Science, Neuroscience or any classical science degree. Similarly, do NOT do it for monetary gain: huge numbers of hours compared to the output constitute it to be a badly paid profession. Try accounting, banking, etc. instead. You need to be sure about this route. It is heavily over-subscribed and most definitely not as fun as it sounds.

(2) Forget Medicine. Work with the subjects you did well at. This option implies that the Gap Year was not the wisest of decisions. You have good GCSE results! Certainly not the best, but certainly not something you cannot work with. You have achieved several A's. Have you considered pursuing those subjects to 'AS' level?

Conclusions: you are a bright student. Now shove life behind you where it belongs, and make sure the upcoming year is all about you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    You get out what you put in my friend.
    Ok I can argue my life on that,that it isn't true.

You certainly certainly CERTAINLY DO NOT get what you put in
    I suggest you dont go on about that one..its why i had such a bad phase causing my grades to drop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scientific Calculator)
    Don't feel "disgusted" by your completely normal behaviour. It happens to the best of us. Do, however, do yourself a huge favour by putting your crush and your friends behind your back. Be ruthless - you deserve it. You obviously have two options.

(1) Keep trying for Medicine. This is most probably the trickier option of the two. It involves you utilising your Gap Year to the utmost degree by resitting/retaking all the GCSE subjects that determine you continuing them to 'AS' and 'A2' level. A word of warning though: do NOT chase medicine unless you genuinely have an incentive to do so. It is NOT the hardest degree out there: if you are looking for academic challenge and rigour, try Mathematics, Computer Science, Neuroscience or any classical science degree. Similarly, do NOT do it for monetary gain: huge numbers of hours compared to the output constitute it to be a badly paid profession. Try accounting, banking, etc. instead. You need to be sure about this route. It is heavily over-subscribed and most definitely not as fun as it sounds.

(2) Forget Medicine. Work with the subjects you did well at. This option implies that the Gap Year was not the wisest of decisions. You have good GCSE results! Certainly not the best, but certainly not something you cannot work with. You have achieved several A's. Have you considered pursuing those subjects to 'AS' level?

Conclusions: you are a bright student. Now shove life behind you where it belongs, and make sure the upcoming year is all about you.
    Thanks for the great advices yh i've been having major problems at home with mum cos of my gap year..she thinks i'm not gonna go back its no help when theres no dad or sisters/brothers to distract her from nagging me..plus she's asian as well..so yh.nightmare.

OPtion 2 is a fabulous idea and guess what?? I tried it! i knew gap year was a bad idea so i took the subject i could with the grades..
    but my friendships didnt carry on from last 5 yrs in 6th form,and yh love issues went wrong so it was a nightmare for me..and it was too late to apply to another 6th form..so i coudn't bare going to my school anymore and left..
    plus i bunked a lot cos of being depressed causing me to falll behind and get "U" gardes..and theyw erent the subjects i wanted so i had no option other than gap year :s

so i'm trying option1 yh i know kmedicines EXTREMELY hard so i'm doing it cos i really want to..i wanna be an operator or psciatrist or even a vet.something to do with health OR an engineer or a journalist.
    so basically subjects i plan for next year=chem,bio,maths and possibly English ;p
    I just dont know how to do retakes..plus i have no idea which colleges to apply to/sixth forms
    if you live in London you might be able to advise..what colleges/6th forms do you know i can apply to?
    i'vw done C&I,westminister,Asmole but i dont know whereelse..
    I applied woodhouse and got accepted but ended up not going there thinking my old school would be better..bad idea
    i really wanted Latymmer or Henrietta Barnet since a few of my friends went but I needed 6A's so it never happened..but if lift my chem bio grades..

omg look how much rubbish and offtopic i've been writing..i am deffo going mad.
    on top of it i have no job either making it worse.
    i'm so uneducated about uni's.i barely know any..whats good,their requirements.
    and i keep hearing Ucas which i have no idea of.

i'll tell you the unis i know:
    Cambridge,oxford,ucl,imperial college,,,

what a broad knowledge i have dont i??

ReputationRep:
    I was disgusted because I didn't get 11A*s (excluding general studies). I soon got over it because I realised that my grades are still good enough for the unis I want to apply to. It is not too late at all. Work hard and get good grades at A-level. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My English teacher told me he gave me a deliberate low prediction to basically wake me up and stop myself from being lazy and actually getting that mark. I got predicted a D in English Lit and got an A*. Sometime low predictions aren't so bad.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the great advices yh i've been having major problems at home with mum cos of my gap year..she thinks i'm not gonna go back its no help when theres no dad or sisters/brothers to distract her from nagging me..plus she's asian as well..so yh.nightmare.

OPtion 2 is a fabulous idea and guess what?? I tried it! i knew gap year was a bad idea so i took the subject i could with the grades..
    but my friendships didnt carry on from last 5 yrs in 6th form,and yh love issues went wrong so it was a nightmare for me..and it was too late to apply to another 6th form..so i coudn't bare going to my school anymore and left..
    plus i bunked a lot cos of being depressed causing me to falll behind and get "U" gardes..and theyw erent the subjects i wanted so i had no option other than gap year :s

so i'm trying option1 yh i know kmedicines EXTREMELY hard so i'm doing it cos i really want to..i wanna be an operator or psciatrist or even a vet.something to do with health OR an engineer or a journalist.
    so basically subjects i plan for next year=chem,bio,maths and possibly English ;p
    I just dont know how to do retakes..plus i have no idea which colleges to apply to/sixth forms
    if you live in London you might be able to advise..what colleges/6th forms do you know i can apply to?
    i'vw done C&I,westminister,Asmole but i dont know whereelse..
    I applied woodhouse and got accepted but ended up not going there thinking my old school would be better..bad idea
    i really wanted Latymmer or Henrietta Barnet since a few of my friends went but I needed 6A's so it never happened..but if lift my chem bio grades..

omg look how much rubbish and offtopic i've been writing..i am deffo going mad.
    on top of it i have no job either making it worse.
    i'm so uneducated about uni's.i barely know any..whats good,their requirements.
    and i keep hearing Ucas which i have no idea of.

i'll tell you the unis i know:
    Cambridge,oxford,ucl,imperial college,,,

what a broad knowledge i have dont i??
    No, I do not live in London. I am, however, starting to get the very uneasy feeling that you have jumped into something without researching all of the facts.

As far as I am aware, almost any secondary school will allow external candidates to take examinations. Sit down with a list of numbers of all the local secondary schools, a pen and some paper and ring them up. Ask them if you can retake your exams at their institution. What this probably does equate to, however, is you self-teaching yourself the relevant GCSE subjects at home, on your own.

How old are you? It sounds like you gave Year 12 an attempt, before dropping out. By the looks of it, you have made several rash decisions along the way. You need to stop. Before you make any more moves such as dropping out of school at the end of Year 11, dropping out at the end of Year 12 or taking a gap year with zero knowledge of how to do resits, you need to sit back and do your research. TSR cannot do all of the research for you. Your top priorities at the moment are correcting your GCSE results, and getting into a good quality sixth form college for 2011 entry. The fact that you are on a gap year without a job is also disconcerting. Are you living at home? Is your mother willing to finance your various pursuits? I genuinely do hope so. If not, get a job ASAP.

I understand how alienating it can feel living with a single parent. I am in the same position. That does not, however, give you the leverage to sympathise with yourself (excessively), seen as how one third of UK's population are also from broken homes. (Please excuse me if I am mistaken and you do not live with a single parent - this is an assumption I am making based on your last post).

You are aiming high, which is good. However, everyone aims high. The difference between dreams and succeedors lies primarily in the fact that those who actually do ammount to something in the end are those willing to put the effort in. Therefore, put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    i wanna be an operator or psciatrist or even a vet.
    You want to do what?

These aren't terrible GCSE grades. However, in terms of applying to medicine, it just means you need to be careful about where you apply. Some med schools (Birmingham) want 7-8A*s at GCSE, so applying there would be a waste as you don't fulfill a requirement that they have set out. Others are more lenient, BSMS for example wants Bs in GSCS English and Maths, although this is flexible dependent on As results. If you decide that you still want to do medicine, it just means that you should check how heavily that particular university uses GCSEs when considering applications.

As and A2 are more important that GCSE results (unless you don't fulfill the criteria they are asking for), however, despite you having some mitigating circumstances at GCSE you will still need to work very hard at As and A2 in sciences. Chemistry especially is a big step up from GCSE, even for people who got A*s. This isn't to say that it is impossible, just that you may find yourself working harder than other people in your class.

(Original post by SPMS)
    I think certain Medic departments want so many A*'s but dont quote me on it though.
    I'm quoting you :P It's only some that want that, fortunately for a lot of us, most don't

ReputationRep:
    My Grades

English Literature-A
    English Language-A
    Maths-A
    History-A
    Turkish-A
    Media-B
    Chemistry-C
    Physics-C
    Biology-C
    Business-c

As long as you can convince a 6th form to let you do sciences, your grades at GCSE will not completely bar you from doing medicine. Read this wiki. I haven't gone through it with a fine-tooth comb for you, but it certainly looks like you could get into at least one med school with C grades at GCSE science, but retaking would definitely be a better option if you can, as applying to only one place is probably an exercise in futility. Beyond your GCSEs, medical admissions will look at your predicted A2 grades, your AS grades, your UKCAT/BMAT admission test score and your personal statement (which should show evidence of good work experience and sustained volunteering). The degree to which a given uni will look at each varies, so you have to to apply smart.

The other option, if you are sure that medicine is for you, is to go for grad entry. You do a different degree and then apply to a fast track 4 year programme (or a standard 5 year if you really want.) I have to warn you that this is a very, very competitive route, and you cannot rely on it working out.

ReputationRep:
    Learn from it and work your arse off at a-levels

ReputationRep:
    My Grades

English Literature-A
    English Language-A
    Maths-A
    History-A
    Turkish-A
    Media-B
    Chemistry-C
    Physics-C
    Biology-C
    Business-c

You can retake, if you pay. Obviously it's disappointing that you didn't achieve your predicted grades, but don't worry too much. You did well but obviously there are a lot of Cs so it's not Russell Group standard. GCSEs are important, but only to an extent. AS and A Levels matter more. If you want to study medicine, pursue retakes - it's such a competitive field.

ReputationRep:
    The sciences may pose an issue for some univerisities and obviously for colleges and sixth forms - some ask for a B minimum, and you will be competing with people who have A/A* for the science courses.

These GCSEs may have closed many doors for you in terms of medical schools, bio/chem/phys especially. You will be competing with people who have all GCSEs at A+, some with majority at A* level. So retake them to give yourself more chance for sucess, otherwise you're in trouble.

Goodluck :0

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.