Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable talking in large groups? Watch

I started a new job a fewmonths ago, and I get on with people there well. I feel comfortable talking to everone one on one, or in groups of 3 or 4, but if everyone's talking in a group of around 6 or more, I feel really shy for some reason and don't know how to join in. And if I do say something, I feel like I sound unconfident, and I feel like I'm slightly ignored by the others in the converstaion. Does anyone else have this problem? With most people it's the other way round - they feel comfortable in big groups but not one on one.

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly the same here. Really good 1 on 1, pretty alright in groups of 3 maybe 4, but then complete crap in larger groups.
    Probably because I feel I won't be heard/will be ignored in these bigger groups. And everyone's all just talking at once.
    Guess the only thing to do is just be more assertive, and don't give a crap what people think, and just talk.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    In large groups where I know the people well then I'm okay...but if I only know a few of them I feel more uncomfortable as it always feels like I'm butting into the conversation...

ReputationRep:
    its not that bad, just try to comment on other peoples coments x

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine in any situation where I know the person, and am comfortable with them, and their opinion of me.
    If I don't know/ like the person, I'll be just as scared whether there's one of them or 100 lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've always felt uncomfortable in big groups and I can never follow the conversation. I'm much better when there's only a few people.

ReputationRep:
    I find it far worse in small groups, the moment there's a silence it's really awkward for everyone. At least in a large group there's always conversation, even if you have nothing to say you can still smile and agree. I'm quite an extroverted person so I don't have a problem talking in large groups, but I can see why shyer people perhaps don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get this all the time.
    The only way I'm confident in a group is if I'm friends with all of them....

I'm glad other people understand what I mean. If we go to the pub after work, I feel comfortable if lots of people go, because then everyone usually talks in small groups because there are too many people to have one big conversation. But if only about 8 of us go, then we usually talk in a big group and I feel really awkward.

ReputationRep:
    Me too. I always prefer it with less people.

To those of you who have the same problem as me, why do you think you have this problem? Do you feel that you will be ignored in large groups? I often worry about being ignored, but try to join in anyway, and then end up getting ignored! But these people ignoring me are the same people I have good conversation with one on one.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like talking to people I don't know in a bigger group then 3.

I'm fine talking to large groups if I know them well enough.

ReputationRep:
    yes, extremely! I'm exactly the same x

(Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
    yes, extremely! I'm exactly the same x
    Why do you think you are like this?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.