Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started taking the cerezette mini-pill yesterday, an iv herd bout all the side effects, especially about your period stopping, and i dont want that to happen as it will make me go all paranoid, is it really common for that to happen???? xx

ReputationRep:
    Its happened for me, and did make me a little bit paranoid, but you get over that if you do a test etc etc. I reccomend it, its been fine with me, only side effects I've had is slight spotting on occasion (not even enough for a pad, a liner is fine) and slightly bad skin but its not much worse than before.

ReputationRep:
    I had one period in about 6 months and it freaked the hell out of me. Give it a try and if you still don't like it ask to try another one, though I was told that if I didn't bleed on Cerazette I was unlikely to bleed on any other mini-pill.

ReputationRep:
    I was on Cerazette for a few years. Had a bit of irregular bleeding at the start and then hardly any in the time I was on it. This didn't bother me as I was good at taking it and trusted it would work.
    My friend, on the other hand, was on it and had constand bleeding with very bad cramps.

Basically, everyone's different. I tried a few different kinds of contraceptive pill before I found one which suited me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I spotted every day for six weeks when I first started taking it, but stopped just when I was about to go to the doctor and say I was fed up :p: Now I only spot if I forget a pill. Unlike microgynon it hasn't made me gain weight, or get really despressed (as with Yasmin). My skin broke out in the first few days, and then settled down again. I'm loving not having periods - no periods, no PMT. Perfect.

It also gives me really vivid dreams, although those have settled down a bit as well now that my body is used to it (but if I forget a pill and have to take two in 24h, the amazing dreams come back!).
    oooo amazing dreams lol
    its my fourth day taking the pill and i havent experiance anything different yet, but i really dont want my periods to go cuz what if it effects the future for having kids :confused: i dont think it will but cant help thinking it still x

ReputationRep:
    Ive had it fr 2 months once. around a year ago i think. I had a constant heavy period. Funny enough i stopped it.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend takes it and its fine.

ReputationRep:
    I've been taking it, but then I was told today by the nurse its weird for someone my age (18) to be taking it. Now im kinda worried...Why did they give me that one then. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rawwwwr!)
    I've been taking it, but then I was told today by the nurse its weird for someone my age (18) to be taking it. Now im kinda worried...Why did they give me that one then. :nothing:
    Really? Most girls on the pop i talk to at uni are on cerazette....it got started in one of my gender studies seminar last year...we had some odd discussions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rawwwwr!)
    im 19 and the nurse gave it to me cuz of migranes or something x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    You are born with a limited number of eggs (which is why your fertility declines with age - fewer eggs left, and lower quality ones!). If you don't ovulate (which is what cerazette stops) you won't menstruate - but you'll ultimately have more undeveloped eggs left than you would if you hadn't taken the pill.

Hormonal contraceptives have been on the market for 40-odd years, and their side effects are pretty well known (protecting against some cancers, possibly predisposing to others), I have never read any evidence that they lower your fertility. The fact that some people STILL manage to get pregnant while on the combined or progesterone-only pills is another good line of evidence that it's not affecting fertility
    thannnnnnkx 4 letting me no

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh I'm so jealous of all these people saying they got no periods. Mine is near constant, six months in. Obviously I'm sick of the nurses telling me I'm not over the 'trial stage' now as it seems to creep up by a month every time. I'm gonna come off this as it's driving me insane.

Cerazette does stop periods after about 3 months of constant usage. The idea is for it to be a full monthly pill-taking cycle, so you never miss a pill, and thus don't have a period. A better option for those wanting a period (i.e. to be on the safe side as then you can tell if you're pregnant!) would be a regular pill such as Yasmin.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a period while on cerazette from day 1 (after the initial period I was on ended). Has slight spotting but it wasn't much, just every now and then. No side effects either. Used it for a year then went for the implant as it is exactly the same without having to take pills and covers you for 3 years!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on cerazette and have been for almost 2 years, except for a break of about 3 months inbetween, had 'spotting' at first but for almost a year now i haven't had a period.
    There have been times i have got paranoid but you kind of get used to it

ReputationRep:
    It made me bleed heavily and randomly over a two month period.. needless to say i switched pills and am now on Cilest which is working out very well for me.

ReputationRep:
    I have been on Cerazette for almost two years and have only had a handful of periods. It affects all women differently, some bleed more often and others bleed very rarely. It can be a bit disconcerting not having frequent periods, especially if you have been used to having monthly ones but as long as you take it on time every day then there is nothing to worry about. At first I found myself using pregnancy tests a lot because I was so paranoid but now I am relaxed with taking it and don't worry about it so much. Just remember, it affects women differently and you may be someone who continues with regular periods, you just need to wait and see.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.