Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a friend of mine that is currently downloading a windows vista + windows 7 operating system via torrent.

I wanted to know how likely is it for him to be caught out? I'm arguing with him because I believe that it is incredibly easy to be caught out is it not? (I'll be sending him a link to this thread).

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely to get caught, however certain software updates and downloading additional Microsoft software like Security Essentials probably won't work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    Unlikely to get caught, however certain software updates and downloading additional Microsoft software like Security Essentials probably won't work!
    So as other legit ones are being updated against virus' etc, my friend's one is just gradually deteriorating right?

ReputationRep:
    Ah - also, when I purchased my computer, the window's vista installation cd came with it, I've used it to install windows vista on my computer (mesh). Is it possible for me to give him the CD to install vista on his computer?

ReputationRep:
    You are highly unlikely to get caught out punishment and legal wise - I can imagine it hardly ever happens. What's more likely is that your downloaded version may be recognised (during updates, etc) as a blacklisted pirated copy, and then once updates have finished the copy will be restricted - e.g. shutting down after 2 hours, disabling features and updates, and showing a watermark on the desktop.

I don't know exactly how that works but that's the impression I got from looking at someone else's computer who had installeda pirate copy. However keep in mind that this is still quite unlikely, particularly if you've got the newest pirate release installed, I presume (see below). I'm not encouraging you to do this, for clarification's sake.

Given by the sheer millions of 50p DVDs available here in China containing copies of all versions of Windows, and that most people who use them supposedly have little problems; many computers here from local -retailers that is, non-official retailers - are sold with pirated versions of Windows which appear stable. From this I presume it's quite possible to have updated and stable pirated Windows copies.

This is not my own experience as I do not have any pirated versions of Windows, just to let the mods know, and nor do I encourage you to do this. This is just local market knowledge from living here in China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Instincts_2012)
    So as other legit ones are being updated against virus' etc, my friend's one is just gradually deteriorating right?
    Not exactly... from past experience :ninja:, Microsoft do patch up all major security flaws regardless of whether you have a pirated copy of Windows or not. However other Microsoft software e.g. Live Messenger, Security Essentials may or may not install.

Ah - also, when I purchased my computer, the window's vista installation cd came with it, I've used it to install windows vista on my computer (mesh). Is it possible for me to give him the CD to install vista on his computer?
    You can lend him the CD but I wouldn't give him your CD-key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    Not exactly... from past experience :ninja:, Microsoft do patch up all major security flaws regardless of whether you have a pirated copy of Windows or not. However other Microsoft software e.g. Live Messenger, Security Essentials may or may not install.

You can lend him the CD but I wouldn't give him your CD-key.
    Oh ok, he's extremely stubborn, and he thinks I'm jealous of him getting a fake windows 7 (I'm on vista), I'm just going to leave him to it so he can learn from his stupid mistakes.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible for me to give him the CD to install vista on his computer?
    That would be a very cruel thing to do; Vista is worse than nothing.

Oh, and there's less than no chance of any negative repercussions because he's using a torrented OS. Literally absolutely no problems whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    to say that vista is worse than nothing is unfair. vista is a perfectly usable OS that got a bad reputation when it was released becuase of 3rd party hardware manufacturers who didnt write drivers for their hardware and consumers who expected them to write drivers for their outdated hardware. I used vista from day 1 and never had problems on my old dell...

but back on topic, your friend will probably be able to download without getting in trouble (the likelyhood of THAT particular torrent being watched while HEs downloading it and of all the seeders/leechers, HE gets singled out is quite small - not to mention the bad rep Microsoft would get for slapping your friend with a huge fine). installing is no problem as you can choose to not enter a key at installation. activation is the issue he should be concerned about and he has 30 days to get this sorted out. there are quite a few tools for this on the internet (or so i am told...) and after that, the installation of service packs would be his only concern. other than that, all programs will work and update as normal. the only ones that might not are those downloading directly from microsoft (even this applies to a small fraction) and a decen activation tool can show the computer as being genuine. its so easy that its actually worrying...

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him to stop being cheap and to buy the damn OS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.