Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Desktop P.C wanted - £1000 Budget Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I'm looking to purchase a brand new desktop p.c and have a £1000 budget, though any great deals at a cheaper or more expensive price are welcome also.

I'm looking for a high performing P.C since I use my P.C for gaming and running multiple applications/programs as well as general music listening, watching films etc.

Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    Alienware?

ReputationRep:
    iMac?

edit: lol @ neg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    Alienware?
    link and/or pics would be highly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    No not an imac. He said
    High Performance and good for playing games.

Not a glorified paperweight which runs like a 20 year old PC (and I dont care if it will last longer, its still ****)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Naw, I have an alienware, it's nice to look at and it runs like a beast, but if I'd invested a little more time I probably could have built the same system myself for much less.

And don't get an iMac, unless you want to pay literally twice as much for every component just for the pleasure of having them welded in so you can't replace anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'd highly recommend you build your own. For £1000 you can build an absolute BEAST of a machine.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I'd highly recommend you build your own. For £1000 you can build an absolute BEAST of a machine.
    me too. esp as its almost xmas and places will be doing lots of deals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digit_Five)
    Naw, I have an alienware, it's nice to look at and it runs like a beast, but if I'd invested a little more time I probably could have built the same system myself for much less.
    That's what i'm worried about - alienware looks quite overpriced and not sure if it's worth it...

ReputationRep:
    Did a quick google and found these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIBOX-K-45-FAS...item2c59070147

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SilverStar-G...87735&sr=1-230

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking that but i'm utterly lost as to how to begin and if I make a mistake - which I often do - i'd probably damage something and have to buy something again, not to mention time... :tongue: If someone were to live vicariously through me, maybe...

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking that but i'm utterly lost as to how to begin and if I make a mistake - which I often do - i'd probably damage something and have to buy something again, not to mention time... :tongue: If someone were to live vicariously through me, maybe...
    There are a lot of good step-by-step guides on the internet, if you read a few and invest in some anti-static gloves and mat you shouldn't have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digit_Five)
    There are a lot of good step-by-step guides on the internet, if you read a few and invest in some anti-static gloves and mat you shouldn't have any problems.
    Such as this?

But then i'd still have to decide what parts to buy... new thread maybe?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/200549

For the price of the pc above you could build a better i7 build

Youd get more for your money if you build it yourself .

ReputationRep:
    Time's not really an issue - it takes 1-2 hours even at beginner level. I can see the worry about damaging some things. You could see if any of your friends know enough to help/do it for you. Or there's
    http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/
    which seems to have pretty detailed instructions on what to do. Even without instructions (apart from the CPU) it's all pretty obvious of what goes where as long as you don't force anything into place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/200549

For the price of the pc above you could build a better i7 build

Youd get more for your money if you build it yourself .
    That looks great!

D'you think I should just find a great desktop p.c online and just build one exactly like it? I'm worried about what parts too buy, so this would solve that worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    iMac?

edit: lol @ neg
    Did you seiously not expect it when you recommend an apple computer when OP clearly said he wants GAMING.

Thats a bit like recommending a cat lover, a dog.

ReputationRep:
    Time's not really an issue - it takes 1-2 hours even at beginner level. I can see the worry about damaging some things. You could see if any of your friends know enough to help/do it for you. Or there's
    http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/
    which seems to have pretty detailed instructions on what to do. Even without instructions (apart from the CPU) it's all pretty obvious of what goes where as long as you don't force anything into place.
    I'm sure I could build a P.C with the help of that site, but I'm still very iffy as to what components to buy... How do I know if i'm being overcharged? :o: I'm not even sure which are compatible or incompatible with which. :o:

ReputationRep:
    http://i52.tinypic.com/16lbdvl.png

^This build would be my sort of recommendation, with a few very important alterations:

-DO NOT buy now. Intel is bringing out their new processor range on the 9th of january, and a core i5-2500k and some sort of half-decent sli enabled motherboard would be much cheaper than the kit I've specified there.

-You might not want such an expensive case, I just thought based on the other build that you'll be really into the way it looks.

-SLI on those graphics cards might be overkill, depending on the display resolution you plan on using. If you buy one, that would free up money in the budget for a retail copy of windows 7 and a decent CPU cooler (the i5-2500k is an amazing overclocker, so it'll be well worth investing in a decent cooling system)

ReputationRep:
    That looks great!

D'you think I should just find a great desktop p.c online and just build one exactly like it? I'm worried about what parts too buy, so this would solve that worry.
    I would always say Build, because of Value for money, most prebuilt computers use average components and charge more.

Im sure TSR would assist in buying components, and theirs allot of step by step guides on youtube , it isnt hard to build from scratch.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.