Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i want to get into high-frequency trading but i'm not too sure if it falls under trading or technology. this thread is for goldman sachs, in particular. if asked "which area of technology interests you the most?" in an interview, would mentioning "high-frequency trading" give the impression that i've applied to the wrong division?

It's in trading.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by President_Ben)
      It's in trading.
      i thought so. so are no parts of it are in technology? because the guy that interviewed me (for technology) at deutsche bank worked in financial modelling, and i would have thought that high-frequency trading is the application of that.

(Original post by himynameisbob)
        i thought so. so are no parts of it are in technology? because the guy that interviewed me (for technology) at deutsche bank worked in financial modelling, and i would have thought that high-frequency trading is the application of that.
        None.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by President_Ben)
        None.
        ...then what's this about?

http://www2.goldmansachs.com/careers...echnology.html

"Trading and Portfolio Management is responsible for building trading tools and developing automation that allow the business to construct portfolios and manage risk"

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by the maths guy)
        ...then what's this about?

http://www2.goldmansachs.com/careers...echnology.html

"Trading and Portfolio Management is responsible for building trading tools and developing automation that allow the business to construct portfolios and manage risk"
        thats not high frequency trading. That line can simply mean they design the infrastructure for traders.

ReputationRep:
        Look at:

Optiver
        Tibra
        IMC
        All Options
        SIG
        DRW
        GETCO
        Advantage Futures
        Capstone
        Jane Street
        Refco
        Wolverine

I can't remember which ones specifically do hft. I had an offer from Tibra last year (turned down) and got destroyed/rejected in the Optiver tests. The best companies in the list above are tough to get into but pay a lot more than the banks.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by The IC Guy)
        Look at:

Optiver
        Tibra
        IMC
        All Options
        SIG
        DRW
        GETCO
        Advantage Futures
        Capstone
        Jane Street
        Refco
        Wolverine

I can't remember which ones specifically do hft. I had an offer from Tibra last year (turned down) and got destroyed/rejected in the Optiver tests. The best companies in the list above are tough to get into but pay a lot more than the banks.
        Do you know which of these companies offer summer internships, and which are in the UK? I know Jane Street do, and Optiver don't, but not sure about the rest. Also, which are the best companies in that list and is there any other deciding factor apart from salary offered? Any other related information is much appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by AK51)
        Do you know which of these companies offer summer internships, and which are in the UK? I know Jane Street do, and Optiver don't, but not sure about the rest. Also, which are the best companies in that list and is there any other deciding factor apart from salary offered? Any other related information is much appreciated. Thanks
        Wolverine does, or at least they used to.

It's really hard to say which is best because they are generally fairly secretive, but JSC, Optiver, DRW, SIG, Getco are generally considered the 'best' ones.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by AK51)
        Tibra pay the most (base 60), Optiver is probably still the most prestigious, then probably All Options and IMC.. both take more grads in Amsterdam. TBH I didn't do much research into this career path, I just wanted to do the tests

ReputationRep:
        Tibra pay the most (base 60), Optiver is probably still the most prestigious, then probably All Options and IMC.. both take more grads in Amsterdam. TBH I didn't do much research into this career path, I just wanted to do the tests
        In that list JSC and GETCO are a lot more prestigious than IMC and all options. Dont know if this is what you mean in your post but just wanted to clear it up.

ReputationRep:
        Look at:

Optiver
        Tibra
        IMC
        All Options
        SIG
        DRW
        GETCO
        Advantage Futures
        Capstone
        Jane Street
        Refco
        Wolverine

You can gain a lot of insight about some of these companies at the Amsterdam trader website.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by acies)
        In that list JSC and GETCO are a lot more prestigious than IMC and all options. Dont know if this is what you mean in your post but just wanted to clear it up.
        Very likely, as I said, I didn't research the career too seriously... and GETCO ignored my application. JSC is possibly expanding in London at the moment, one of the interviewers (who turned up in a tracksuit) said they were in the process of moving to a bigger building this year. It may be a good time to apply to them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.