Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Common words which people can't spell Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of people who can't spell so here's how to spell certain words.

Definitely - not definately or definitaly.

Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.

Occasionally - two C's used.

Focused - Why oh why do people spell it as 'focussed?'

Grammar- not grammer

does anyone care to add any more?

ReputationRep:
    Misspelled is often misspelled

ReputationRep:
    nessasery

ReputationRep:
    looser

ReputationRep:
    Embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    absence academic accelerate accessible accidentally accommodate achievable achieved acquaint address already altogether ancillary apparent attendance audience auxiliary beauty beginning beliefsbelievedbureaucracy calendar colleague committed competence conscience conscientious consensus dealtdefinite definitelydesperate develop disappear disappoint embarrass environment exaggerate existence fascinate forty fourth fulfilled government
    grateful harmful hierarchy humorous incidentally independentinterest liaise loose liaison manner meant necessary noticeably occasion occurred occurrence somissionomit omitted opportunity paidparallel personnel pleasantpossess precede preparation privilege procedure proceed profession pursued receive received recommend relevant response separate severely society strategiessuccessful tendencies unnecessarily

ReputationRep:
    the amount of times you see people spell retarded, retarted, on youtube is ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    February; beautiful (even though we've been taught the Big Elephants Are Ugly thing from day 1); necessary (one Collar, two Sleeves :P). yep those are the major offenders.
    my brother spelt hasn't as 'hasunt' once lol.
    bad grammar doesn't faze me too much :P. what does is when crazy people write things like 'yhew' and 'yhuh' instead of 'you' in texts. 'u' i understand, it's shorter, but why on earth would you do the other ones?! you're making it longer for gods sake!
    that's it lol :P
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I learnt to spell definitely from theoatmeal.com

"You are definitely an A-hole if you put an A in definitely."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)

Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.

Grammar- not grammer

You could have said breathe = verb

Also, chill out bro!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)

Grammar- not grammer

Technically, "focused" is the American way of spelling it. The British way, even though spelling is based on etymology, correctly portrays the sound /s/ by doubling the consonant, whereas if it were "focused" laws of stress and intonation would lead people to assimilate it with /z/.

ReputationRep:
    tired as tiered...really annoys me!!!! and alcahol instead of alcohol. arghhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killsworth)
    the amount of times you see people spell retarded, retarted, on youtube is ridiculous
    I am so sad that I even remember a "Friends" episode with French subtitles (the one where Phoebe speaks French) and they spelt retarded as retarted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by specialk_698)
    tired as tiered...really annoys me!!!! and alcahol instead of alcohol. arghhhhhh
    Seriously? That's on another level

ReputationRep:
    'Accommodation' is often misspelled on TSR.

Maybe people don't care or maybe they just don't realise but I see it spelt wrong a lot on here.

ReputationRep:
    Privilege is often spelt wrong.
    you're and your are also mixed up.

Someone in my class misspelled apple once. In case you are wondering he wrote apell. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
      i'm not sure about in spelling,
      but when people say 'pacifically' when they mean 'specifically'

ReputationRep:
      SOOO many people on facebook write "collage"
      :lolwut: seriously, just wtf

ReputationRep:
      College. It angers me so much to see people posting 'off to collage now! xxx' on Facebook constantly.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it by a second.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.