Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tuition fees rise- more pressure on this year's applicants? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking this through- surely there is going to be a lot of pressure on people who have applied to uni this year to reach their offers cos if not, they will end up paying the new increased tuition fees. Is it worth reapplying/retaking a levels or best to just see what you can get in clearing?

The 2012/13 academic year is the year of legislation. Not 2010/11. Or 2011/12 (or?)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stricof)
      Dude. The 2012/13 academic year is the year of legislation. Not 2010. Or 2011. Get a calender FFS.
      You buffoon. This year's current applicants will go in 2011, the last year before the new fees come in. So the OP's question is perfectly valid. If you don't get in this round you'll be paying the new fees.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stricof)
      Dude. The 2012/13 academic year is the year of legislation. Not 2010. Or 2011. Get a calender FFS.

Yes, so if someone applying for 2011 entry screws up in the summer and misses their offers, they have to choose between reapplying for 2012 entry or going for clearing...

It's something I've thought about as well OP, it makes a pretty big difference financially! From my point of view, I think doing the course I want to do at the university I want to be at is more important than the price difference, so if I miss my offers then I'd probably just reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
      Yes there will be more pressure on this years (2011 entry) applicants. Those mature students that are thinking of going will go now to avoid it and those that were thinking of taking gap years wont and will go now. There will be more people for 2011 entry so more pressure.

ReputationRep:
      Are the increased tuition fees only for students STARTING in 2012 or do they apply for everyone who is a student in the year 2012, no matter since when?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Coccinelle264)
      Are the increased tuition fees only for students STARTING in 2012 or do they apply for everyone who is a student in the year 2012, no matter since when?
      Increased fees are only for students who start their degrees in 2012- so basically everybody applying next admissions cycle and those that have already applied for deferred entry this cycle. Students starting in October 2011 will pay the £3000 fees for the whole of their degrees so they are unaffected by the change.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.