Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend's mum told her to bleach because she is too dark? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I was at my friends house and her mum was saying that she is too dark and that she should bleach or use a cream that would enlighten her skin complexion.
    Has anyone else witnessed, gone through or whatever! What creams do they use..this is bizarre to me!

ReputationRep:
    lil kim

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiftWrappedKittyKat)
    lil kim
    this.

dont do it OP! counselling > bleach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    That vid is making my jaw feel funny. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    she should wipe her face with the ****ing snow. That should get her lighter :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    It's the same principle as fake tan on white people, though physically more harmful.

Why people can't be happy the way they are, I will never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    So I was at my friends house and her mum was saying that she is too dark and that she should bleach or use a cream that would enlighten her skin complexion.
    Has anyone else witnessed, gone through or whatever! What creams do they use..this is bizarre to me!
    Is she Asian?

They do it in Asia cos historically dark skin meant you worked in the fields and therefore were poor. So light skin means higher social status.

ReputationRep:
    I heard domestos is good?

ReputationRep:
    Is she Tamil?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    [IMG]http://obamaisa*****.files.wordpress.co m/2010/08/thats-racist.gif[/IMG]

ReputationRep:
    LOL it's not bleach (if she means bleach then wtf that won't work on skin!!) but I've seen some girls do this with lightening cremes and they do look prettier afterwards tbh. I don't mean to be adding fuel to the fire and not to disregard health and psychological implications, the end result in terms of simple beauty was good I must say.

ReputationRep:
    One of my neighbours has really dark skin, she's from Nigeria, and she's one of the most beautiful people I know. She really is drop dead gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    vybz kartel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    Not so long ago the BBC did a programme on this topic but focusing on how prominent it is in the Asian/Indian community and how dangerous this practice can be physically and emotionally http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nkpmm

Your friend if confident with herself and has a brain would not listen to her mother. She should focus on doing well in life. If we all looked the same image how boring the world would be...!

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with the skin you were born with?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.