Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone been to a gig on their own before? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going to a gig tonight. My friend was meant to be coming but she couldn't get here because of the snow so it looks like I'm going on my own. It's going to take forever to walk there in this snow but I AM NOT missing this.

Sooo. Is it really awkward going to a gig on your own?

ReputationRep:
    No, I've been to a few on my own and really enjoy it. Depends on the band maybe though, I think some stereotypical fans can be more amusing/entertaining than others to be waiting alone with. Who are you seeing?

ReputationRep:
    I havn't been to a 'gig' on my own, but i saw rihanna back in may on my own ! and i loved it, i preffered it on my own, rather than with other people.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was going to a gig on my own...but the gig got cancelled due to snow

I think if you like the band enough then it shouldn't bother you! Plus the worst thing is when you're at a gig with loadsa people and you spend most of the gig trying to make sure you stick together!

ReputationRep:
    It's safer to go with someone else. (Depending on what sort of gig it is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cellophane11)
    So I'm going to a gig tonight. My friend was meant to be coming but she couldn't get here because of the snow so it looks like I'm going on my own. It's going to take forever to walk there in this snow but I AM NOT missing this.

Yeahh
    it was great. not awkward really. talk to people

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going to a gig tonight. SoulfulBoy was meant to be coming but he couldn't get here because of the snow so it looks like I'm going on my own. It's going to take forever to walk there in this snow but I AM NOT missing this though I miss you, SoulfulBoy.

Just by reading the title I knew you were going to a gig on your own. Who cares what other people do, if you want it, do it, don't expect other people to tell you what to do, my lovely OP.

ReputationRep:
    I saw Muse on my own because my friends got there late and I was too caught up in the show to try and find them. It meant I could weasel my way through the crowd and get exactly where I wanted to be. It wasn't award at all.. apart from a few fellow loners asking if I was alone and following me around
    I've also gone to other local gigs alone, including a few Metal gigs and had a great time.

Who are you going to see, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh okieee. Good to know
    I'm going to see Enter Shikari. The thing is I don't feel like getting right into the crowd because I'm ill at the moment. But they're one of my favourite bands so I cannot miss it. But I guess if it's packed out a lot of people won't even notice if I'm on my own?

ReputationRep:
    I've been to gigs on my own before, and it's fine. I mean, quite often when I go with friends I end up getting separated anyway, so it barely ends up different, and you've got to be pretty sad to focus on whether other people are accompanied rather than on the music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R3L4Y)
    It's safer to go with someone else. (Depending on what sort of gig it is).
    Safer? Young people don't know that word. The slogan is LIVE FAST, DIE YOUNG!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. In fact, I go to most alone - I never plan to go with other people.

I will sometimes organise to meet up with a filming/recording/bootlegging buddy after I'm already going, but not usually.

I prefer it TBH.

As cheesy as it sounds - you're never alone when seeing a band. You're surrounded by hundreds/thousands of other people who have also paid money to see the same band you have. Boom, you have something in common already. Be friendly to the people around you and you'll probably have a better time than with a real life friend. Especially if the friend isn't as much of a fan as you and is only going because you asked them to.

ReputationRep:
    yeah loads of times. nobody's going to judge you,

it's far less obvious you're on your own at a gig than at the cinema and I do that too.

ReputationRep:
    I once saw pendulum on my own ( :woo: )simply because none of my friends were able to go and there wasn't a chance I was going to miss it.
    Turned out to be the best night out ever. Met so many amazing people and had great fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tailschao)
    Be friendly to the people around you and you'll probably have a better time than with a real life friend. Especially if the friend isn't as much of a fan as you and is only going because you asked them to.
    This ^ It totally kills the mood when you know they're not enjoying it as much as you.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to a few weeks ago but I didn't in the end because everyone I asked about it told me it was really dangerous and I'd be kidnapped/raped/pillaged... I wish I had though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doloroushazy)
    I was going to a few weeks ago but I didn't in the end because everyone I asked about it told me it was really dangerous and I'd be kidnapped/raped/pillaged... I wish I had though!
    This is going to happen to me on the walk home I can just tell.

ReputationRep:
    I have. But then again I choose to do a lot of stuff on my own.

My school mates were cool with that, but I think now people at uni have found it weird and it hasn't exactly won me many friends

ReputationRep:
    I usually go to gigs with one of my close friends, we like most of the same music so it makes sense! Usually it's just us two, but I have been to gigs with larger groups of people and I do think that it's better when you're with less people. I've never been to a gig alone, but I would if there was a band that I was desperate to see and no one wanted to go with me.

Also, slightly off topic but it annoys me when groups of friends spend the whole gig chatting and giggling, I'm there to enjoy the music not your irritating voices!

ReputationRep:
    I never have I don;t think I ever will. I think half the atmosphere is created by sharing it with either your mates, girlfriend, or boyfriend. You can make a day of a gig as well depending on where it is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.