Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about ABTA and ATOL protection? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, what is the difference between ATOL and ABTA?!
    I'm looking to book a holiday with the bf this summer, and we have found identical holidays, the first with Thomas Cook and the second with IceLolly.com and Complete Travel. IceLolly and Complete are about £50 per person cheaper, but IceLolly is only ABTA protected (not ATOL) and Complete is ATOL protected (but not ABTA).
    Does this mean I am covered by both ATOL and ABTA if I book with the two in conjunction? Am I putting our holiday or money at risk by booking through IceLolly/Complete rather than Thomas Cook (protected by both)
    I'd really appreciate some help!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bumps how depressing..

ReputationRep:
    Why not just google it lol. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Why not just google it lol. Seriously.
    I tried, but it seems to be a big secret! Most websites say there is no difference, but why have two names for it then?!

ReputationRep:
    Well I seemed to find your answer from google pretty easily.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...6090224AAFFATF

Here you go.

ReputationRep:
    Icelolly holidays - read the reviews online - the general consensus is you get what you pay for, with agencies jumping at the chance to take your money, but after that if you need to contact them in case of a problem, suddenly no one is answering the phone and trying to sort it out is like pulling teeth. Holiday might go off without a hitch as it has for many on there, but be aware of this.

At least with a brick and mortar agency, or someone well established like Thomas Cook, you know what you are getting.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

As I am a Travel Agent I can give you an explanation of this in an understandable way.

Both ABTA and ATOL guarantee you financial protection in that you are guaranteed to be able to claim back your money if the travel agent or tour operator goes bust, however ATOL protection gives you that little bit of extra protection because if the travel agent or tour operator or airline you booked with goes bust when you are on holiday normally you would have no flight to get you home ATOL protection guarantees that you will not get stranded abroad due to travel agent/tour operator/airline failure. e.g. when goldtrail went bust last year all passengers were still able to take there flight to get them home back to the UK, furthermore some flights still took off from the UK if they were due to fly out in the next 48 hours. If the travel agent or airline you book with does not hold these forms of protection then you need to book with a credit card to guarantee financial protection as debit cards may not give you any. e.g. a budget airline (e.g. flyglobespan went bust and customers who did not pay on a credit card would have lost there money) Booking your flight with hotel and transfer as separate transactions on the internet if very risky as if 1 element was too fail, to try to change the other will cost money (amendment fee) it is best to get the travel agent to book everything for you i.e. you ONLY PAY ONE COMPANY, this will save alot of hassle if something was in the unlikely event to go wrong.

Hope this helps and if you are still unsure of anything send me a private message, thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.