Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My tortoise is kept in a heated reptile cage and when i checked him today he seemed unresponsive, normally he is awake even if he is supposed to be hibernating, he is about five years old. His eyes were sunken in and one leg was out i am afraid he is dead....

ReputationRep:
    yes he has.
    and I'm afraid he's gone to tortoise hell.

ReputationRep:
    I thought hibernating was when they were asleep?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think tortoises like the winter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewiseone)
    yes he has.
    *Heaven you jbvpxhbvp
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    See if you can feel a pulse...it is quite a useful way to find out if things are alive or not...

ReputationRep:
    Nooo

ReputationRep:
    Why not just google an article on tortoise hibernation?

ReputationRep:
    :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

(Original post by thewiseone)
    yes he has.
    .....:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

(Original post by Rlea24)
    My tortoise is kept in a heated reptile cage and when i checked him today he seemed unresponsive, normally he is awake even if he is supposed to be hibernating, he is about five years old. His eyes were sunken in and one leg was out i am afraid he is dead....
    ...Ehm. sorry about that. how long has this been happening for? maybe he's just tired or too cold or sumat? i'm afraid i have no idea really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tonberry)
    Why not just google an article on tortoise hibernation?
    I have! but the symptons havnt been the same
    hence why ive asked on here....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    See if you can feel a pulse...it is quite a useful way to find out if things are alive or not...
    i disagree. posting on a forum is an easier way...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    i disagree. posting on a forum is an easier way...
    Well I can always try and use my super power to see from a distance if the tortoise has a pulse, however, with the snow my accuracy is down to 50%...

ReputationRep:
    yeh, check the pulse.

ReputationRep:
    Hibernating tortoises usually hide in a burrow. If your room temps are at all warmish and the tortoise is out in the open, it is not hibernating.

Does it feel really light compared to how it usually feels? This is not a good sign.

When you pick it up, does it hiss or huff? Tighten up a little more? If not, it is not a good sign.

Can you tug on a limb? If it does not pull it back, this is also not a good sign.

If you are still not sure, give it a warm soak in a shallow container- only a couple inches of water. Most tortoises will eventually move during a nice warm soak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    yeh, check the pulse.
    WHAT! why the neg rep? i'm not trying to be stupid or insulting..?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.