The Student Room Group

How to deal with flatmates who refuse to clean up

One person's shelf spreading mould spores over the fridge? Plates and mugs left on the side for weeks covered in 'fur'? Always an excuse or just outright refusal to take the bin out or do shared chores?

I'm sure most students have had someone like this living with them at one point or another. Could really do with some tips for polite (though it's getting past the point of politeness) ways to deal with them.

Boring story of why I'm posting:

In our flat of 5, we decided to just "take the bin out in turns whenever it needs doing," and ofcourse, "clear your own **** up so it doesn't get in other people's way." This worked for about 3 months, then we realised that we hadn't seen this one girl take the bin out once. Her dishes were starting to pile up and she had two containers full of mouldy (and I mean MOULDY - really ****ing nasty) stuff which is unrecognisable anymore just lying on the side spreading spores all over the kitchen. We politely told her it was her turn to take the bin out and she needed to sort out the mouldy crap. She was like "Oh yeahhhh, sorrrrryyyyyyy, I keep forgettiiiiiiing... I'll do it just nowwwwww..." (She elongates the last word of her sentences in her squeaky high pitched Birmingham accent and it feels like she's rubbing a cheesegrater on my ears).
Three days later the containers hadn't been moved and the bin was literally overflowing onto the floor in a radius of about 2 feet from the bin, from her stuff alone (we had all started using our own bins in our rooms to avoid making it any worse). I am ashamed to say I gave in and took out the bin as it was just making everyone feel sick. The smell was so bad. No idea how it didn't attract rats. After that I spoke to everyone (except the girl who was out drinking as usual) and we drew up a rota. We told her about it when she got in and that we'd emptied the bin even though it was her turn as "it was a ****ing disgrace," and she agreed that the rota was a fair way of doing it.

It's now her turn again on the rota (she's gotten away with not doing it for another 2 weeks) and surprise surprise, the bin has not been taken out. We had a flat inspection yesterday, so she cleared the containers and dishes up (****ing finally!) but she is just determined not to take this bin out. If she's happy to live and make food in a kitchen full of mouldy plates (christ knows what her room is like), then surely she should have no qualms about taking a bag of rubbish down to the skips.

It seriously takes 2 minutes to do, nobody else has a problem with it and, well, it's ****ing disgusting having rotting food in a kitchen. Any ideas on how we can sort this out? We're close to just taking the bag out of the bin and leaving it outside her door with a note "Your turn to take down." But then that's doing half the job for her. I think we're all a little too polite.

/vent.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The putting the bag outside her door thing sounds like a good idea. If you want to be really awesome, wait until she goes out to the loo, take the bag in her room and put it on her desk chair/bed. I bet she'll take it the **** out then.
Reply 2
I have a flatmate who leaves her unwashed dishes around, often with food on them. Or washed dishes are left in the drying rack so nobody else can use it. She also leaves mouldy food in the fridge, and them moans at me for chucking it out. I've asked her many times to clear her **** up and she never does. If she does it next term, I'm just going to move it to the table in the garden and see how she reacts :colone:
Reply 3
Should go off on her. Holla at her to do it and argue, this way you can get out all this pent-up anger you have towards her and, well she might move out from it.
chuck this ho's stuff outside, so she can eat with the other filthy rodents.
how you've all tolerated this laziness for as long as you have, i don't know.
Reply 5
Original post by Blueflare
wait until she goes out to the loo, take the bag in her room and put it on her desk chair/bed.

(Un)fortunately, we have en suite toilets and showers, so can't really go for that one, but good idea though :biggrin:

Original post by Philbert
I have a flatmate who leaves her unwashed dishes around, often with food on them. Or washed dishes are left in the drying rack so nobody else can use it. She also leaves mouldy food in the fridge, and them moans at me for chucking it out. I've asked her many times to clear her **** up and she never does. If she does it next term, I'm just going to move it to the table in the garden and see how she reacts :colone:

Haha, yeah it's so frustrating that they just don't realise how unhealthy it is. My girlfriend who stays in the flat regularly has a immunity deficiency so it's like "Arrrgh! Just have some basic consideration for other people!"

Does everyone agree that it's going to take a "Sort your self out you manky bitch!" to get her into gear?
Original post by Kyoujin
(Un)fortunately, we have en suite toilets and showers, so can't really go for that one, but good idea though :biggrin:

Haha, yeah it's so frustrating that they just don't realise how unhealthy it is. My girlfriend who stays in the flat regularly has a immunity deficiency so it's like "Arrrgh! Just have some basic consideration for other people!"

Does everyone agree that it's going to take a "Sort your self out you manky bitch!" to get her into gear?

Yes, tell her exactly that. You've put up with her for far longer than is reasonable :smile:
Reply 7
Put the bin bag on her bed.

To be honest there isn't always a way of dealing with people like this completely.
If you've brought it up with her then time to start taking action.

1) Accept that she won't empty the bin but that's not the end of the world.
2) Throw anything in the fridge of hers which is past its sell by date into the bin. If she complains then tell her it's not fair on you to have mouldy food in the fridge where you keep your food too and that if she keeps food in there that is mouldy or past its sell by date then you will keep throwing it away.
3) Put all her dirty washing up in a container and dump it in her room or outside if it's locked.
4) Make sure all your crockery is locked away in your rooms or lockable cupboards so she can't use it. This will force her to do her washing up as she won't be able to use any of your stuff either.

It's a bit more effort for you but it means a clean kitchen in the end.

Edit: Actually, it would be better if you put the mouldy food in a bin bag and then in her room or outside it if she keeps locking it. Make it clear that it's not acceptable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Kyoujin

Agreed. In fact, you should take all her mouldy crap and stick it in her room... I can't stand it when people can't be arsed to clean up their own ****. :s-smilie:
Original post by Kyoujin
One person's shelf spreading mould spores over the fridge? Plates and mugs left on the side for weeks covered in 'fur'? Always an excuse or just outright refusal to take the bin out or do shared chores?

I'm sure most students have had someone like this living with them at one point or another. Could really do with some tips for polite (though it's getting past the point of politeness) ways to deal with them.

Boring story of why I'm posting:

In our flat of 5, we decided to just "take the bin out in turns whenever it needs doing," and ofcourse, "clear your own **** up so it doesn't get in other people's way." This worked for about 3 months, then we realised that we hadn't seen this one girl take the bin out once. Her dishes were starting to pile up and she had two containers full of mouldy (and I mean MOULDY - really ****ing nasty) stuff which is unrecognisable anymore just lying on the side spreading spores all over the kitchen. We politely told her it was her turn to take the bin out and she needed to sort out the mouldy crap. She was like "Oh yeahhhh, sorrrrryyyyyyy, I keep forgettiiiiiiing... I'll do it just nowwwwww..." (She elongates the last word of her sentences in her squeaky high pitched Birmingham accent and it feels like she's rubbing a cheesegrater on my ears).
Three days later the containers hadn't been moved and the bin was literally overflowing onto the floor in a radius of about 2 feet from the bin, from her stuff alone (we had all started using our own bins in our rooms to avoid making it any worse). I am ashamed to say I gave in and took out the bin as it was just making everyone feel sick. The smell was so bad. No idea how it didn't attract rats. After that I spoke to everyone (except the girl who was out drinking as usual) and we drew up a rota. We told her about it when she got in and that we'd emptied the bin even though it was her turn as "it was a ****ing disgrace," and she agreed that the rota was a fair way of doing it.

It's now her turn again on the rota (she's gotten away with not doing it for another 2 weeks) and surprise surprise, the bin has not been taken out. We had a flat inspection yesterday, so she cleared the containers and dishes up (****ing finally!) but she is just determined not to take this bin out. If she's happy to live and make food in a kitchen full of mouldy plates (christ knows what her room is like), then surely she should have no qualms about taking a bag of rubbish down to the skips.

It seriously takes 2 minutes to do, nobody else has a problem with it and, well, it's ****ing disgusting having rotting food in a kitchen. Any ideas on how we can sort this out? We're close to just taking the bag out of the bin and leaving it outside her door with a note "Your turn to take down." But then that's doing half the job for her. I think we're all a little too polite.

/vent.

Sorry mate - if you've tried talking to her and she won't come in line, then there's nothing you can do, short of getting the landlord to throw her out. And if you do that, you'll need to find someone to replace her or you'll be paying her rent.

I have ample experience in this with many housemates - You think that's bad - I have just moved out of a place where one of the tenants used to get drunk every weekend and piss and **** and vomit all over the bathroom whenever he used it - I just stopped paying my rent, the landlord knew he'd get screwed unless he let me go quickly - no court in the land is going to hold you to your contract if you have a number of different pictures of a fat, naked 40 year old guy, passed out in his own filth in your bathroom, each with a Metro paper to provide date evidence and some sense of decency.

Living with other people is a gamble, pure and simple, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. I think even though some have been pretty ****, I'm winning so far. If you think you're losing, search on here for "rotting rat soup" (including quotes).

Or you could just do what one of my flatmates did with a bin that a housemate refused to empty - he emptied it into his bed.
(edited 13 years ago)
bin bag in her room. go for it. what a minger.
At my old flat if stuff got left too long then we'd just put the dirty plates and **** back into their cupboards on top of their clean ones :biggrin:
Reply 13
Well I live in a flat with 3 other people, the thing is they all get along and are really close, however all 3 of them are like the girl you are describing... I've had to avoid using the kitchen now, that literally means never going in... and whats worse, when the smell of the kitchen become unbearable for even them, instead of taking out the trash, they prop open the kitchen door so the smell comes down the hallway... I'm always un-propping the door lmao! But tbh I think its the fat girl who is the worst, she eats non-stop!!! She'll have dinner at 10pm, and I've seen her make another dinner at 3am!!!! And this is not a snack, this is a full on meal!!!
my housemates never empty the bin! I'm the only one who does and its ****- I left a note and dated everytime I put out. But it just gets ignored. Last night I took it out and within 2 hours it was full again! Disgusting pigs!
Reply 15
My brother had similar housemates. He'd warn them once or twice and if they still didn't do anything then he'd just put it in the bin. After that they started paying attention, although you wont be particularly popular haha.
Reply 16
I'm so glad our bin gets emptied! The rest of the kitchen is bad too and I know it would turn into a situation like yours if we had to do it...

Put it in front of her door.
Reply 18
super-glue all her plates and things to her door. Kind of like a mouldy collage.
Carry the bin into her room/ put it outside of her room. If that still doesn't work, empty the contents all over her stuff :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending