Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do they check up on your work experience? I want to apply for dentistry next year and obviously you need work experience to apply.

I have done three days in a hospital in London but it was poorly organised and basically just hanging around in a room with some dental nurses, doing not a lot. I want to pretend that a. it was two-three weeks and b. I did lots of impressive things. Would the universities check?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, i put on my personal statement that i had planned to do a 3-day work experience with a freelance designer, i havn't. But i know a few i could just do it with so.. its not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    They won't check up on it but you won't enjoy hearing your application being rejected during those awkward silences that will occur after they have asked you about your work experience.

Honesty is the best policy m'dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldscollide)
    Do they check up on your work experience? I want to apply for dentistry next year and obviously you need work experience to apply.

I have done three days in a hospital in London but it was poorly organised and basically just hanging around in a room with some dental nurses, doing not a lot. I want to pretend that a. it was two-three weeks and b. I did lots of impressive things. Would the universities check?
    They're more interested in what you learnt from the experience, not what you did. Lying could either get you caught, or make you look stupid if you say you did something that is in fact illegal (just for example). So rather than lie I would suggest that you highlight what you learnt and how it has influenced your career choice.

ReputationRep:
    Don't lie, that's just degrading to yourself in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of time for more work experience.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with emilylikeeee. Wouldn't you feel pretty bad about lying about your work experience, and possibly getting accepted purely on the basis of that lie, whereas someone who actually did some more work experience got rejected.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they will know that you have lied but it will become obvious and you are missing out on the opportunity and experience of doing a work experience placement

x

ReputationRep:
    Don't lie. You will get asked about it if you are invited to an interview, which is likely for denistry, and it will be obvious if you have lied. It's not so bad if you just exaggerate a few things slightly to make them sound more impressive, but not lie completely.

ReputationRep:
    See those ********s on the apprentice? They thought they could pull the wool over employers eyes in their CVs as well.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT.

It is instant dismissal if found out, even decades later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonymeen)
    I agree with emilylikeeee. Wouldn't you feel pretty bad about lying about your work experience, and possibly getting accepted purely on the basis of that lie, whereas someone who actually did some more work experience got rejected.
    To be honest, life in general is about putting on a facade. For instance just take a hypothetical scenario, if you didn't act polite and all so genuine in your answers, would you have been given that part-time admin job?

Lets be frank, if you reveal your true feelings by being totally honest, don't expect someone to hire you anytime soon, and by deliberately omitting some-not-so-flatting details of yourself, you are just as morally corrupt as someone who tells a straight lie.

Now I know university is different from getting a job, but essentially, what the interviewer looks for in their applicants is the same.

ReputationRep:
    you better not risk it..
    you never what they might be up to..
    play safe!!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't with something like medicine and dentistry, if you wanna go into IB though, why not say you did work exp at Lehman Bros lawl, be easier to get away with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldscollide)

Whether they do or they don't, lying about anything is a bad idea. It would hardly demonstrate the integrity expected of a professional, would it?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't be able to talk about it at interview and it would be obvious you have lied.
    It says a lot about you that you're even asking this, not really the professionalism a future dentist should have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Whether they do or they don't, lying about anything is a bad idea. It would hardly demonstrate the integrity expected of a professional, would it?
    (Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~)
    You wouldn't be able to talk about it at interview and it would be obvious you have lied.
    It says a lot about you that you're even asking this, not really the professionalism a future dentist should have.
    Not saying it's a good idea and OP shouldn't do it ... but, if you had a dentist who was really good with your teeth and an all-round excellent dentist, would you really care if you found out he said he'd had more work experience than he had before even getting to uni? Would it stop him from being the same dentist you thought highly of?

ReputationRep:
    Dont lie, it will catch up with you sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    They won't check up on it but you won't enjoy hearing your application being rejected during those awkward silences that will occur after they have asked you about your work experience.

Honesty is the best policy m'dear.
    Youth does not understand the word honesty.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just do whatever it is you were planning to say you've done? You've got 10 months to get some real work experience.

If you're caught lying on your application, you'll be rejected. Since you'll be interviewed this is quite likely to happen. If it's found out once you've already started your course, they can kick you out. Not worth it at all, so don't even try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Not saying it's a good idea and OP shouldn't do it ... but, if you had a dentist who was really good with your teeth and an all-round excellent dentist, would you really care if you found out he said he'd had more work experience than he had before even getting to uni? Would it stop him from being the same dentist you thought highly of?
    Clearly it wouldn't matter in the practical sense - but the principle is what matters, and telling lies at all, ever, is problematic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.