Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Let's share notes!

ReputationRep:
    I'm retaking this exam too! Except I haven't really started revising yet :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipskylark)
    I'm retaking this exam too! Except I haven't really started revising yet :O
    Join the club! We have exactly 3 weeks to know this from head to toe! What grade are you hoping to get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    Join the club! We have exactly 3 weeks to know this from head to toe! What grade are you hoping to get?
    Well I want an A overall (only got a B last year), but I got a C in the exam last year, so a high B (at least) this time round would be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipskylark)
    Well I want an A overall (only got a B last year), but I got a C in the exam last year, so a high B (at least) this time round would be good
    Oh I see same here. What did you get in your c/w?

ReputationRep:
    im taking this exam for the first time. i revised already but only the terminology. i have done so far only one past paper. i need to focus on my timing in the exam, im scared i'll run out of time! Im aiming for an A ^^

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any language and power theories because i can't find any? i would be very grateful if you could help me

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this too, you'll be fine! It doesn't matter how little you write, it doesn't even have to be that well written, as long as you include the key elements that the examiners are looking for, you'll get a good mark. Just remember form, structure, purpose, audience and write LOTS ON LANGUAGE and techniques, etc. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplelovex)
    I'm doing this too, you'll be fine! It doesn't matter how little you write, it doesn't even have to be that well written, as long as you include the key elements that the examiners are looking for, you'll get a good mark. Just remember form, structure, purpose, audience and write LOTS ON LANGUAGE and techniques, etc. Good luck!
    what do you mean by techniques?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    what do you mean by techniques?
    They probably mean the linguistic techniques used in the text, for example, the use of second person singular personal pronouns to engage the audience or the use of powerful verbs to create a lasting impression on the reader. You need to think about why the author/speaker has used techniques such as these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Cullen)
    They probably mean the linguistic techniques used in the text, for example, the use of second person singular personal pronouns to engage the audience or the use of powerful verbs to create a lasting impression on the reader. You need to think about why the author/speaker has used techniques such as these.
    ohhhh i see thank youu

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not too late to start revising tonight! Infact, I revised on the morning of this exam last year, as it was an afternoon exam and got one mark off an A - resitting again tomorrow to see if I can get better... cramming is good for this exam cause you can hopefully wing it

For top marks, just ensure you link everything back to the question topic constantly, whats the effect and purpose of the text? Every single analytical point you make needs to have its purpose, otherwise don't bother writing it.

You don't have to write sophistically, just cram in all the key points and use technical terms!

Structure your essay well - for the unseen write a small intro and then create 3/4/5 well structured paragraphs (comparing both texts constantly), and each paragraph should have its own point. Text B has more imagery than Text A. "embed a quote here as evidence". This is partly because text B is a literary text. OR Text B is a literary text and one indication of this is the extensive use of imagery, for example, "jndiskvncsdvfsd'

When comparing the unseen think all about "GCAP" - Genre (type of text), Context (all the factors which have influenced the text), Audience (who is it designed for? how does it engage with them?), Purpose (why has it been written? to entertain? to inform?)... then the massive one LANGUAGE!! (period the text was written in, compare and contrast language techniques like lexis, grammar, phonology, discourse structure, graphology)

EFFECT... EFFECT... EFFECT! what's on the page? why have particular techniques been used and what's the intended effect of them on the audience? how are the effects achieved? why does context play an important role?

Ensure that you look at techniques in a LITERARY and LINGUISTIC way!

literary: imagery, metaphors, personification, similes, symbolism, connotation...
    linguistic: grammar, semantic fields, lexis, diction, phonology, use of adverbs, colloquialism...

Then to conclude, how successful are the texts in terms of achieving their purpose? Justify views by referring back to what you said in the main body. Note that this only needs to be a small paragraph.

For the anthology question I suggest learning 3 or 4 texts really, really well rather than trying to vaguely learn 7 or 8.

Great ones to learn are:
    - Otranto travel guide
    - Palin text 10
    - 'Nam blog text 12
    - Text 17 transcript
    - Text 19 poem is okkkk
    - Text 20 extract
    - Text 23 definitely!!!
    - Text 24 definitely!!!

Good luck, hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not too late to start revising tonight! Infact, I revised on the morning of this exam last year, as it was an afternoon exam and got one mark off an A - resitting again tomorrow to see if I can get better... cramming is good for this exam cause you can hopefully wing it

For top marks, just ensure you link everything back to the question topic constantly, whats the effect and purpose of the text? Every single analytical point you make needs to have its purpose, otherwise don't bother writing it.

You don't have to write sophistically, just cram in all the key points and use technical terms!

Structure your essay well - for the unseen write a small intro and then create 3/4/5 well structured paragraphs (comparing both texts constantly), and each paragraph should have its own point. Text B has more imagery than Text A. "embed a quote here as evidence". This is partly because text B is a literary text. OR Text B is a literary text and one indication of this is the extensive use of imagery, for example, "jndiskvncsdvfsd'

When comparing the unseen think all about "GCAP" - Genre (type of text), Context (all the factors which have influenced the text), Audience (who is it designed for? how does it engage with them?), Purpose (why has it been written? to entertain? to inform?)... then the massive one LANGUAGE!! (period the text was written in, compare and contrast language techniques like lexis, grammar, phonology, discourse structure, graphology)

EFFECT... EFFECT... EFFECT! what's on the page? why have particular techniques been used and what's the intended effect of them on the audience? how are the effects achieved? why does context play an important role?

Ensure that you look at techniques in a LITERARY and LINGUISTIC way!

literary: imagery, metaphors, personification, similes, symbolism, connotation...
    linguistic: grammar, semantic fields, lexis, diction, phonology, use of adverbs, colloquialism...

Then to conclude, how successful are the texts in terms of achieving their purpose? Justify views by referring back to what you said in the main body. Note that this only needs to be a small paragraph.

For the anthology question I suggest learning 3 or 4 texts really, really well rather than trying to vaguely learn 7 or 8.

Great ones to learn are:
    - Otranto travel guide
    - Palin text 10
    - 'Nam blog text 12
    - Text 17 transcript
    - Text 19 poem is okkkk
    - Text 20 extract
    - Text 23 definitely!!!
    - Text 24 definitely!!!

Good luck, hope this helped!

Hi it has been awhile but I got an A grade in my exam - 100/120 but my c/w dragged my overrall grade down to a B grade.

I have 148/200 which is a comfortable B grade. My c/w at the moment one of them is an A grade and I'm not so sure about the other but my teacher literally sat next to me and helped me as I was in a state *so I'm confident I will get nothing below a B grade on c/w this year overall*

But I was wondering do you think I can still get an A grade this year overrall as a grade *or ambitiously the A*?

Look forward to your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    Hi it has been awhile but I got an A grade in my exam - 100/120 but my c/w dragged my overrall grade down to a B grade.

I have 148/200 which is a comfortable B grade. My c/w at the moment one of them is an A grade and I'm not so sure about the other but my teacher literally sat next to me and helped me as I was in a state *so I'm confident I will get nothing below a B grade on c/w this year overall*

But I was wondering do you think I can still get an A grade this year overrall as a grade *or ambitiously the A*?

Look forward to your response

hey 100 on the exam is really good, well done! did you get 148/200 on the coursework for A2, which is the text transformation thing, or is that from re-sitting last years? my teacher's not telling me our grades for A2 coursework which is really irritating and i don't know what to expect on results day :/ i think with the grades you have already, an A is definitely achievable, i'm not so sure about an A* but if you get top, top marks on the summer exam (are you doing streetcar?), then maybe.... apparently the summer exam is quite a nice one to do well in x

ReputationRep:
    hey 100 on the exam is really good, well done! did you get 148/200 on the coursework for A2, which is the text transformation thing, or is that from re-sitting last years? my teacher's not telling me our grades for A2 coursework which is really irritating and i don't know what to expect on results day :/ i think with the grades you have already, an A is definitely achievable, i'm not so sure about an A* but if you get top, top marks on the summer exam (are you doing streetcar?), then maybe.... apparently the summer exam is quite a nice one to do well in x
    I achieved 148/200 for the AS English Language A paper. Which came to a comfortable B grade. I would like to achieve an A garde overrall.

What paper do you do? And you mentioned this years paper being 'nice' and insight as to what might come up? I have a feeling the discourse paper maybe a variation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

her -

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.