Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuggling to pick a smartphone for creating games. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to start making cross platform smartphone games. Which smartphone would be the best for me?

Windows Phone 7 with it's obvious connectivity and role in the XBOX LIVE ARACDE Marketplace for game development with the logical possibility of UDK support? Samsung Omnia 7 being quite a speedy game app loader. Copy and paste patch incoming. Cheapest solution.

iPhone with UDK support but are more expensive and offer nothing else over competition apart from advertisement on a more popular app marketplace excuding the Xbox marketplace because that is the most popular gaming wise.

Android, faster (are the dual cores out yet?), Unreal games coming soon which indicates UDK support for Android as well. Can actually multitask with third party apps. ("Epic is working on Android support for UE3")

Leaning towards Window Phone 7 but i can't seem to shake off thoughts of UDK on Android which would seal the deal instantly.

Should i wait it out for a while longer? Because i know the Androids are beastly superior. I know at least Android and iPhone will be able to run my games that way.

I would personally go with Android. XNA is a nice development platform, but WP7 is quite a limited OS right now, doesn't have a terribly big market share and the current handsets aren't exactly sweeping me off my feet (but each to their own I guess).

The iPhone has an arguably bigger customer base and you only really need to target two devices (iPhone and iPod are basically the same thing but you might want to consider iPad development as well), but startup costs are more expensive (do you have a Mac already, and do you have the ~£100 a year for the developer access?).

The big problem is that there's a bucketload of competition.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      I would personally go with Android. XNA is a nice development platform, but WP7 is quite a limited OS right now, doesn't have a terribly big market share and the current handsets aren't exactly sweeping me off my feet (but each to their own I guess).

The iPhone has an arguably bigger customer base and you only really need to target two devices (iPhone and iPod are basically the same thing but you might want to consider iPad development as well), but startup costs are more expensive (do you have a Mac already, and do you have the ~£100 a year for the developer access?).

The big problem is that there's a bucketload of competition.
      Developer Licence i can afford but i thought it was cheaper than £100 cus i thought it was $99. I don't have a Mac because i can make them PC to iPhone games. Still i agree Android seeing as Epic said UE3 is being worked on for it. That way i get a better phone and games to be deployed on two platforms.

ReputationRep:
      The problem with Android is that the gaming scene isn't that great. Partly due to the huge differences in hardware.
      If you had a Mac, I would say go for the iPhone. But since you don't, Windows Phone 7 is the next best thing (and should be quite interesting with the XBL linkup).

ReputationRep:
      The gaming scene is fine actually especially with Unreal based games on the way. The guys behind Dungeon Defenders said the Android version is closer to it's PC counter-part due to having a better spec so getting an iPhone would be the biggest mistake Mac or no Mac apparantly. Now it's just finding out if Microsoft are willing to allow Unreal on WP7. So at CES next month if there is no announcement then it's Android.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hooj)
      I don't have a Mac because i can make them PC to iPhone games.
      How do you do that? I got myself an iPhone and was thinking of starting developing but been looking to get a Mac, would be good if I didn't need one.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lil_bil)
      How do you do that? I got myself an iPhone and was thinking of starting developing but been looking to get a Mac, would be good if I didn't need one.
      Download UDK (December version with iOS) on your PC then look at the iOS documentation on their main site to start making a Game.

BUT if you want your game on the app marketplace find access to a Mac and upload it with the Application Loader through iTunes.

So make the Game on a PC then find a mate or an internet cafe with a Mac and upload it...simples.

ReputationRep:
      If you're going to charge for a game, surely it's a choice between Android and iOS. WP7 simply hasn't sold enough handsets yet to make it lucrative for small developers .

Edit: If it's Android, I'll happily beta test on HTC Hero.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mikeyd85)
      If you're going to charge for a game, surely it's a choice between Android and iOS. WP7 simply hasn't sold enough handsets yet to make it lucrative for small developers .

Edit: If it's Android, I'll happily beta test on HTC Hero.
      Depends if the HTC Hero is a relatively new Android i suppose.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hooj)
      Depends if the HTC Hero is a relatively new Android i suppose.
      it isn't.
      And that is the problem android has. There are so many hardware configs out there, and so many different versions of android out there (with many phones not being updated to the newest versions).

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.