Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Downloading programmes from iplayer Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know of a good tool to download iplayer programmes? The reason I'm asking is because for whatever reason iplayer desktop just doesn't happen on my laptop, and now if I try to use the download for Windows Media Player it tells me I need the updated windows media player, having gone on WMP and tried to update it and being told it's updated, I'm now left with no "official" options.

Thanks
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Anyone know of a good tool to download iplayer programmes? The reason I'm asking is because for whatever reason iplayer desktop just doesn't happen on my laptop, and now if I try to use the download for Windows Media Player it tells me I need the updated windows media player, having gone on WMP and tried to update it and being told it's updated, I'm now left with no "official" options.

Thanks
    I'm doubtful that such tools would be legal, so I'm afraid that we wouldn't want to see them discussed on TSR. Perhaps we could help you to address your problem with installing iPlayer... could you describe the issue in some more detail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I'm doubtful that such tools would be legal, so I'm afraid that we wouldn't want to see them discussed on TSR. Perhaps we could help you to address your problem with installing iPlayer... could you describe the issue in some more detail?
    It's a bit of a grey area I think. The developers of the tool I use have certainly never had any issues, but I'll avoid posting it if you like...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah.
    Well ok, when trying to download a programme from iplayer ... basically nothing happens, iplayer doesn't open (can't see it on my screen) but in running processes iplayer is visible. I'm also then redirected on the iplayer site to download the iplayer program >.<, if I follow this basically the same thing happens - nothiing.

Since you can download programmes for WMP I then used that, but now the site is telling me I need to upgrade WMP, which I have done but still...
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah.
    Well ok, when trying to download a programme from iplayer ... basically nothing happens, iplayer doesn't open (can't see it on my screen) but in running processes iplayer is visible. I'm also then redirected on the iplayer site to download the iplayer program &gt;.&lt;, if I follow this basically the same thing happens - nothiing.

Since you can download programmes for WMP I then used that, but now the site is telling me I need to upgrade WMP, which I have done but still...
    As a frst step, try un-installing and re-installing iPLayer from your computer. I've noticed that it seems to get updated fairly often - possibly an update failed in some way?

ReputationRep:
    As a frst step, try un-installing and re-installing iPLayer from your computer. I've noticed that it seems to get updated fairly often - possibly an update failed in some way?
    Done the standard uninstall/re-install. Still the same =/, it's odd because iplayer desktop does come up in processes but not in applications in the task manager.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Done the standard uninstall/re-install. Still the same =/, it's odd because iplayer desktop does come up in processes but not in applications in the task manager.
    Might it be at all similar to this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F...thread=6743738

ReputationRep:
    Might it be at all similar to this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F...thread=6743738
    Sounds similar, I'll give it a go \0/

Hrm actually, I can't seem to find the folders he says go into, and any searches for "AppData" just throw up lots of stuff to do with Thunderbird, not iplayer.

Edit: Done, reinstalled iplayer and still nothing >.<

ReputationRep:
    Get_iplayer is a fantastic tool. It's pretty legit given it doesn't strip drm or any time restrictions; but thoroughly awesome in every single way.

ReputationRep:
    bump, still not happening.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.