Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Massive increase in frostwire viruses. Wikileaks the cause? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not that I use Frostwire for downloading illegal material at ALL! But...there seems to be so many more viruses on it lately than usual. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it could be to do with wikileaks and all the cyber wars which have broken out because of it?

Doubtful, to be honest.

I have heard there are a lot of fake versions of the Wikileaks insurance file floating around, however.

ReputationRep:
      It's easy to spread rats via P2P programs such as Frostwire, more people are learning how to spread viruses this way.

No, I doubt WikiLeaks has had that much of an influence on this though.

ReputationRep:
      No :mute:

It's because there was a long period between the official limewire being shut down and pirated limewire coming out.

ReputationRep:
      Who uses frostwire anyway.

ReputationRep:
      Wikileaks is a conspiracy theory.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nashy19)
      No :mute:

It's because there was a long period between the official limewire being shut down and pirated limewire coming out.
      WHy would that increase viruses though?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tommyjw)
      Who uses frostwire anyway.
      Well me obv Got any better ideas?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Billydodger)
      Well me obv Got any better ideas?
      Torrents. Once you've started, you'll never look back. Although you shouldn't start doing anything illegal now.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The_Rev)
      Torrents. Once you've started, you'll never look back. Although you shouldn't start doing anything illegal now.
      Torrents are for people who like slow, bandwidth-heavy downloading with abundant fakes and the ever-present risk of being sued.

Rapidshare and encrypted usenet are where it's at

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TShadow383)
      Torrents are for people who like slow, bandwidth-heavy downloading with abundant fakes and the ever-present risk of being sued.

Rapidshare and encrypted usenet are where it's at
      Encrypted usenet, you can't go wrong there .

It depends if you know how to torrent. If you just read the comments you'll easily figure out whether a torrent is fake or not, a high seed:leecher ratio will result in you having a faster download speed, just don't forget to upload. Oh, and as for being sued, you can pretty much eliminate that problem by using a VPN/VPS. .

(Original post by Cringe)
        Wikileaks is a conspiracy theory.
        Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced - it all seems too convenient. The conspiracy theory rumourmills are saying that Wikileaks is a fake honeypot, set up to catch insubordination and those who facilitate leaks as well as provide an excuse to censor the Internet.

These rumourmills are also saying that the insurance file is a) fake and just random garbage designed to spread misinformation or rattle TPTB or b) the NSA have been given the key, know the contents (possibly something seriously damaging and/or super top secret and world changing), and the file is therefore being used as a bargaining chip/blackmail by Julian Assange.

Everybody has the file now, so it is used as a kind of digltal Sword of Damocles if you will. Julian Assange just needs to get his minions to release the key and off we go.

It depends if you know how to torrent. If you just read the comments you'll easily figure out whether a torrent is fake or not, a high seed:leecher ratio will result in you having a faster download speed, just don't forget to upload. Oh, and as for being sued, you can pretty much eliminate that problem by using a VPN/VPS. .
        Unfortunately, many VPN providers keep logs and we know how accommodating Uncle Sam is with regards to purported misuse of the Internet :rolleyes:. If you use a VPS and set up your own VPN on it, then chances are your VPS will have a static IP and the hosting company will be able to match it to your account and, subsequently, your personal identity. The traffic will still be traced to you, in other words. But yeah, it's generally uploading that gets you boned.

Encrypted TOR tunnels and Usenet are probably more sensible, as you say.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ch0llima)
        Unfortunately, many VPN providers keep logs and we know how accommodating Uncle Sam is with regards to purported misuse of the Internet :rolleyes:. If you use a VPS and set up your own VPN on it, then chances are your VPS will have a static IP and the hosting company will be able to match it to your account and, subsequently, your personal identity. The traffic will still be traced to you, in other words. But yeah, it's generally uploading that gets you boned.

Encrypted TOR tunnels and Usenet are probably more sensible, as you say.
        Uncle Sam, goddamn . It depends how you go about things, know what a seedbox is? They usually get by the uploading problem, I've had experiences with quite a few VPS providers that offered dynamic IP addresses, most of them have disappeared now though Which method do you generally use?

ReputationRep:

yeah, I used to use a seedbox when I was at araditracker etc, and I still have my accounts with demonoid etc (I think I've been kicked off all the other private trackers I was on by now) but my seedbox was more expensive than a private usenet account and after one of my friends at aradi got arrested (he was also a seedbox user, by the way) I decided to pack in the whole torrenting thing.

Uncle Sam, goddamn . It depends how you go about things, know what a seedbox is? They usually get by the uploading problem, I've had experiences with quite a few VPS providers that offered dynamic IP addresses, most of them have disappeared now though Which method do you generally use?
          I'll have to be entirely honest and say I didn't know what a seedbox was :embarrassed:.

Usually, I download via HTTP where possible (use sites like MegaRelease.net) and if I do torrent stuff I limit the upstream bandwidth (don't like leechers) and then nuke the transfer entirely once I've got the whole file.

Not very elegant, I know.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by ch0llima)
          Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced - it all seems too convenient. The conspiracy theory rumourmills are saying that Wikileaks is a fake honeypot, set up to catch insubordination and those who facilitate leaks as well as provide an excuse to censor the Internet.

These rumourmills are also saying that the insurance file is a) fake and just random garbage designed to spread misinformation or rattle TPTB or b) the NSA have been given the key, know the contents (possibly something seriously damaging and/or super top secret and world changing), and the file is therefore being used as a bargaining chip/blackmail by Julian Assange.

Everybody has the file now, so it is used as a kind of digltal Sword of Damocles if you will. Julian Assange just needs to get his minions to release the key and off we go.
          I find it ridiculous how firstly Julian Assange is releasing documents to show just how corrupt the UK/US and other world governments are, and no suddenly hes a rapist ? With the US/Swedish authorities wanting him for extradition ?

I hope he keeps doing what he does.

ReputationRep:
          No, wikileaks has nothing to do with an increase in viruses on frostwire, though I haven't contracted any viruses from frostwire, despite it's awfully inadequate GUI.

ReputationRep:
          That fine if you actually know how to use torrents.

I find it confusing tbh

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by xnatalie01x)
          That fine if you actually know how to use torrents.

I find it confusing tbh
          They're not exactly that hard to understand how to use, if you've setup your client properly and only download from trusted places/people you should be fine, most of the time You need help?

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.