Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi. im currently in my last year of secondary education and the subjects i'm studing are -

maths
    english
    single award science
    re
    learnig for life and work
    these were compulsary

contruction
    geography
    business studies
    pe
    these were my options

i relly regret picking some of these subjects as i picked them without much thought and wasn't giving much advice at the time.

im really worried because i dont do double award science, a modern language and ICT, as i think these are very useful subjects to have studied in these modern times.
    could anyone give me any advice on what i should do and tell me will i have less career/higher education prospects due to the GCSE'S i'm currently studing?

ReputationRep:
    they wont effect your career prospects massivley, universitys barely look at GCSES unless everything else between you and another candidate is the same except GCSES might be the decider.
    However, even in that situation they look more at the grades. Yes a modern langauge would have been good as some unis do want if for specific courses, like History at Warwick. But on the whole, its more about the grades you get. Your alevels are way more important then GCSES. Just focus on the grades, if you got all A* and A's then your sorted.

ReputationRep:
    An IT would've been good - where I am, all the colleges make you do IT if you didn't do it in secondary school

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, im really regretting some of these choice and hoping that that will not hinder what i do futher down the line
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    what do you want to do at A level? (have you thought about uni yet?)

personally, i didn't make bad choices, but had bad choices made for me. i was cut off by my school from some good GCSEs and was forced into an AS Level i didn't do well in. but i buckled down and made sure i got good grades. unis can't begrudge you for making an effort and doing the best with what you can, and so far, it hasn't stopped me doing anything i wanted to do.

so yeah, i know how it feels being constricted like that, but eventually things will work out in the end, as long as you do well.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    chemistry biology and maths hopefully, but i would need to find a way to bring my gcse science up to the required standards thanks for your help there i may just try and do my best with the subjects i have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willythfc)
    hi. im currently in my last year of secondary education and the subjects i'm studing are -

maths
    english
    single award science
    re
    these were compulsary

contruction
    geography
    business studies
    pe
    these were my options

i relly regret picking some of these subjects as i picked them without much thought and wasn't giving much advice at the time.

im really worried because i dont do double award science, a modern language and ICT, as i think these are very useful subjects to have studied in these modern times.
    could anyone give me any advice on what i should do and tell me will i have less career/higher education prospects due to the GCSE'S i'm currently studing?
    They are fine, just make sure you get good grades A's/A*'s , where subject choice does matter will be when you are choosing your A level.

Remember that if you are really concerned maybe consider distance courses for GCSE like ICS.

ReputationRep:
    The lack of a modern language is a shame but other than that it's no big, they aren't really interested in your subject choices at GCSE. They'll just look at your overall profile like 'aight this guy has 11 A* we'll let him in' or whatever and neglect to notice that your A*s are in Feline Studies or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter to be honest, as long as you get decent grades in them.

Athough GCSE grades are important in getting a university place, it is more the grades that matter than the actual GCSE. All they want is a handful of a good grades and Maths, Science and English.

The only way I can think that would affect university/career choices would be if by not taking a GCSE in one subject, you wouldn't be able to do the A level. Some university courses require A levels in particular subjects ie. Biology and Chemistry for Medicine, Foreign Languages for any Foreign Language choice etc. which may be problematic. Same for apprenticships, but they are a little bit more lenient than universities in general. If I were you I would think about the course you might want to take, and have a look at the entry requirements, if you need an A Level that you're not doing at GCSE, talk to the subject teacher for that subject and they might be able to sort something out for you so you can take it next year.

But like I say, just concentrate on getting good grades for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where you would stand in terms of studying single award science if you want to do the sciences at A-level. I did double award science and even though I got A/A my sixth form wouldn't let me take Biology A-level.

But Geography and Business are good and most Humanities subjects you can just do right away without doing it beforehand, half of my History A-level class didn't do the GCSE.

But basically, with GCSEs- it's more about grades than subjects, so work hard, things only get more subject specific in post-16 education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willythfc)

maths
    english
    single award science
    re
    these were compulsary

contruction
    geography
    business studies
    pe
    these were my options

You can rule out medicine, dentistry, vet med and any scientific career without at least double science GCSE. UCL won't let you in for anything without a foreign language GCSE. You didn't miss out on anything by not doing ICT; it's the biggest waste of time ever and you don't learn anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    I I did double award science and even though I got A/A my sixth form wouldn't let me take Biology A-level.
    Why on earth not? My sixth form lets people with B/B (or B/C if they really beg like some guys did this year) in science take A-level sciences.

ReputationRep:
    about IT, I woouldnt worry as we done an OCR national (im guessing you did too) and most of my year didnt pick it and our teachers didnt tell us to, they would have if they thought it was necessary, i think that GCSE's are more about playing to your strengths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinqueta)
    Why on earth not? My sixth form lets people with B/B (or B/C if they really beg like some guys did this year) in science take A-level sciences.
    No idea, apparently it doesn't go into enough detail? :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.