Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't Wenger under any real pressure to deliver trophies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Obviously he's helping to keep the club sustainable and is clearly satisfying the shareholders , but surely these thoughts are for fans who are not caring about if they'll see a trophy again in their lifetime? Where are the voices of dissent? Are they silenced by attractive football? (there's probably no blame there).

ReputationRep:
    They delude themselves into taking some kind of moral high ground because they keep the ball on the floor and don't spend as much money as other teams, thus making themselves the "moral winners". This, of course, is the most important thing, and in comparison real "success" and "trophies" mean nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been checking up the news for the past 1-2 years. He's being constantly pressured to deliver but it doesn't really bother him, because he wants the win trophies the right way.

ReputationRep:
    Its a good question which I have wondered about too. His stubborness of fielding young players without buying big names (whether the money has been there or not) has failed for the last 5+ years. Any other manager would of been sacked a long time ago, so its a strange one.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger is an insufferable **** who deserves to have his still-beating heart ripped from his chest and devoured in front of him by a pack of famished buzzards, but you have to admit that in an era of sheikhs, oligarchs and whathaveyou, just keeping Arsenal competitive with that budget is an impressive achievement. Besides, five years is hardly a trophy drought in the broader context of English football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    Have you been checking up the news for the past 1-2 years. He's being constantly pressured to deliver but it doesn't really bother him, because he wants the win trophies the right way.
    There is no ''right'' way to win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    Don't you think that he would start caring if he was put under enough pressure, the media and the fans is one thing, but once the shareholders start talking he'll have no choice but to deliver. But he's making friends with the shareholders giving him virtual immunity on his contract. Don;t get me wrong, I support him in his project to win the right way, but perhaps, some games Arsenal simply need to see them out rather than having an attack only mentality, keep the ball to run down the clock. To see them get hit on the counter attack when they're leading is not exactly a pretty sight is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    They delude themselves into taking some kind of moral high ground because they keep the ball on the floor and don't spend as much money as other teams, thus making themselves the "moral winners". This, of course, is the most important thing, and in comparison real "success" and "trophies" mean nothing.

The holier-than-thou attitude belonging to Wenger and Arsenal fans in general is a constant annoyance. Wish they could transfer the silence of Highbury and the Emirates to their general lives tbh. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    Its a good question which I have wondered about too. His stubborness of fielding young players without buying big names (whether the money has been there or not) has failed for the last 5+ years. Any other manager would of been sacked a long time ago, so its a strange one.
    I agree charz, had Villa signed for Arsenal a couple of seasons ago, forget the league only, Arsenal would probably have taken the Champions league along with it. I think people like the style of play and would wonder if it will all come to an end if Wenger were to leave. Not many manager can play this way you know, so we have to hold our hands up for that.

ReputationRep:
    Its not like the board are spending big bucks for his team...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slawaccess23)
    I agree charz, had Villa signed for Arsenal a couple of seasons ago, forget the league only, Arsenal would probably have taken the Champions league along with it. I think people like the style of play and would wonder if it will all come to an end if Wenger were to leave. Not many manager can play this way you know, so we have to hold our hands up for that.
    I agree he has a unqiue style of playing which is attractive, but after so many failed seasons you would think he would learn from his mistakes but the start of every season he continues his philosophy of playing kids.

ReputationRep:
    There is no ''right'' way to win.
    It's fitting this comes from you tbh, I see that you like Inter. Inter won the tie against Barca in the most appalling fashion I've ever witnessed. I remember thinking, if this is the only way to beat Barca, we might as well cancel our attacking options and get rid of our attacking coach. It was disgraceful to watch but it got Inter through.

ReputationRep:
    Because Arsenal play attractive football?
    Because we don't tend to go on massive losing streaks game-wise, so there isn't too much room for momentum to build.
    But he is under pressure from some people. I'm not one of them, because I think Arsenal play some of the best football in the world when they play at their best, and I watch football for entertainment as well as results.
    I do think he needs to get a couple more experienced players on the transfer market. I'm not too fussed about keepers at the moment, but our CB pairings just aren't working. That may well improve dramatically once Vermaelen is back.

ReputationRep:
    It's fitting this comes from you tbh, I see that you like Inter. Inter won the tie against Barca in the most appalling fashion I've ever witnessed. I remember thinking, if this is the only way to beat Barca, we might as well cancel our attacking options and get rid of our attacking coach. It was disgraceful to watch but it got Inter through.
    The Inter Barca game at the Nou Camp was one of the best matches of the season.

ReputationRep:
    Lol appaling fashion? Well if we played open attacking football like Arsenal did against them we would of got raped...like you did. We outplayed Barca in the first leg at the San Siro anyway, what do you expect when you go 10 men down to the best attacking team in the world with a 2 goal advantage at the Nou Camp? I know what Aresenal would of done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    The Inter Barca game at the Nou Camp was one of the best matches of the season.
    Probably was admittedly. But the tactics just took me aback that's all. It was the mother of all defensive tactics. I still think Bojan's goal should have stood but that's another matter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Wenger is an insufferable **** who deserves to have his still-beating heart devoured in front of him by a pack of famished buzzards, but you have to admit that in an era of sheikhs, oligarchs and whathaveyou, just keeping Arsenal competitive with that budget is an impressive achievement. Besides, five years is hardly a trophy drought in the broader context of English football.
    This. With CHelsea and Man U around it's understandable. Let's be honest, over the past 6 years these two have been pretty phenomenal. Considering the debt from the stadium etc arsenal haven't been able to compete financially so I'd say once the debt is payed of and Wenger can focus more on new players than making profits he should then be judged on trophies. What he's done with so little has been staggering.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is Arsenal have tough opposition Chelsea and Man Utd always seem to dominate the league and Barce or some English side always beat them in the champions league other sides have won the FA and Carling cup but i don't really count them as real achievements anymore

ReputationRep:
    Lol appaling fashion? Well if we played open attacking football like Arsenal did against them we would of got raped...like you did. We outplayed Barca in the first leg at the San Siro anyway, what do you expect when you go 10 men down to the best attacking team in the world with a 2 goal advantage at the Nou Camp? I know what Aresenal would of done.
    lol, nice response. I agree it's suicidal for 10 men to even think about playing properly in Barca, but two lines of defensive in front of the penalty box isn't everyone's cup of tea. It was entertaining to see how Barca would try to get through the brick walls though, good show of defensive strength.

ReputationRep:
    arsene is a legend, but he has himself to blame for not winning anything.

he doesn't provide his team with any mental strength, THAT is the problem. And to say it's because Arsenal play attractive football is *******s. The 98 double team, 2002 double team and the 2004 unbeaten team all played attractive/stellar football, Arsenal under Arsene always have. It's that he coaches a punch of pussies who can't rough it, or at least doesn't teach them how to rough it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.