Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

if so how does the whole student finance, parental income work??

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Are you living away from your parents by choice?
    How long have you lived with your grandparents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Are you living away from your parents by choice?
    How long have you lived with your grandparents?
    I have fallen out with my dad and step mum, and my mum is dead.

I have just moved there

ReputationRep:
    I've lived with my grandparents my whole life, but my parents still count for income assessment which is a *****, I lose out on loads... *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of people "living" with grandparents to get EMA, so it obviously works for that. Not sure abuot student loans though - I think parental income will still count, unless you can prove you are estranged from them - ie have no contact for a year. I haven't lived with my Dad for 5 years (I'm 24) and live nearly 100 miles from him, with my partner of 4 years, but when applying for student finance this year they still automatically ask for my Dad's income. Bloody madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    I've heard of people "living" with grandparents to get EMA, so it obviously works for that. Not sure abuot student loans though - I think parental income will still count, unless you can prove you are estranged from them - ie have no contact for a year. I haven't lived with my Dad for 5 years (I'm 24) and live nearly 100 miles from him, with my partner of 4 years, but when applying for student finance this year they still automatically ask for my Dad's income. Bloody madness.
    Surely that would count as you being self sufficient for over 3 years though? I thought you could put your own income only based on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    I have fallen out with my dad and step mum, and my mum is dead.

I have just moved there
    You assessment will go off your parents income until you have lived away for 3 years or reach the age of 25. Proving estrangement is not as simple as saying you've fallen out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    Surely that would count as you being self sufficient for over 3 years though? I thought you could put your own income only based on that.
    I have eventually managed to do that. Part of the time I was a student though, so had no job to put down - apparently being supported by the government in the form of a loan (ie you'll pay it back) is not supporting yourself, but claiming benefits (which will not be paid back) does. Very odd! It was a bit of a mission as I only JUST had 3 years of work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.