Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just watched this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IrzJqfTQA

I think he makes a good point. Who cares it's just a flag. Let the morons burn their own money if they want.

Agree?.......

EDIT: Ok guys don't turn this into a bigoted debate about islamic quran and american/british flag burning. I just meant in general why care about material things.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah absolutely, it's their flag once they buy it so absolutely they can burn it - the freedom of capitalism :daydreaming:

I'll just burn this qu'ran I bought with my money.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

For me the Flag of England represents something. It's also the principle. You burn a flag to show a lack of respect towards another country and that to me and many others is offensive.

In the case of America, their flag represents past and present and so is a part of their culture. To burn the American flag is to disrespect American history.

This idea of disrespect is only applicable when an opposer of said country burns the flag. The American flag being burned by anyone other than Americans is offensive, but when it is burned by Americans themselves it is wholly acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    of course you should be able to do it

but you should think before doing so to any flag because it means so much to that particular country's people. its just disrespectful regardless of what country it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Yeah absolutely, it's their flag once they buy it so absolutely they can burn it - the freedom of capitalism :daydreaming:

Fair enough though, you bought it. It's just paper. I might not agree with your views but i don't see why people should get upset about it.

ReputationRep:
    End of argument really.

Burning things (books, flags, whatever) is a pretty primitive form of protest , and if I saw someone burning a flag that held meaning for me, I'd probably chin them.

ReputationRep:
    It is not on to burn any flag, book or emblem. If only we valued decency and decorum as much freedom of speech. :facepalm2:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Fair enough though, you bought it. It's just paper.
    Not the response most people round here were giving when that Florida attention-seeker proposed it. Would be interesting to see their responses to you. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just watched this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IrzJqfTQA

I think he makes a good point. Who cares it's just a flag. Let the morons burn their own money if they want.

Agree?.......
    Whilst I agree in that it is just a flag and those who burn it are burning their own money, it's meant to symbolise something isn't it. There's a message behind it of course you understand that..............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    End of argument really.

Burning things (books, flags, whatever) is a pretty primitive form of protest , and if I saw someone burning a flag that held meaning for me, I'd probably chin them.
    But why, these are just material things. And usually the people that burn things are just proving how idiotic they are and are only doing it to provoke you into getting angry. They want a reaction from you so you can stoop to their level. However if you rise above it, then it shows how ignorant they are. So like i said, let them burn it.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE burning yank scum flags!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    init

I got a warning of the police for burning a Muslim. I was like "AY. YO. PO-LICE MAN. DIS HERE IS MY MUSLIM"
    umm, sorry was that meant to be funny? tut, tut, tut:no:

Okay, that's just silly, immature and immoral. religion and culture/politics should never be mixed - they're completely different.

oh btw OP, it's stupid. burning a flag? big deal, people should get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    I disagree.

For me the Flag of England represents something. It's also the principle. You burn a flag to show a lack of respect towards another country and that to me and many others is offensive.

In the case of America, their flag represents past and present and so is a part of their culture. To burn the American flag is to disrespect American history.

This idea of disrespect is only applicable when an opposer of said country burns the flag. The American flag being burned by anyone other than Americans is offensive, but when it is burned by Americans themselves it is wholly acceptable.
    Yes but you can apply such sentimental value to any object. I could take offence next time someone burns a cigarette as it is disrespectful to those who were oppressed and forced to pick tobacco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazirard)
    Whilst I agree in that it is just a flag and those who burn it are burning their own money, it's meant to symbolise something isn't it. There's a message behind it of course you understand that..............
    Yeh but mainly the burning of an item is meant to provoke a reaction. But if you don't react to it then you rise above it. And essentially you make the burner look foolish.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but mainly the burning of an item is meant to provoke a reaction. But if you don't react to it then you rise above it. And essentially you make the burner look foolish.
    No not all the time. Obviously the Qur'an burning was to stop the building of a prayer room but when Pakistan or Afghan citizens flock to the streets with a burning American flag or life size David Cameron doll it's because they are offended and want to show how they feel. As immature as it is I'd say most of the time flag burning is used as a representation to show how a group of people feel.

ReputationRep:
    Are you allowed to burn stuff on public property in the UK? There's nothing to say you can't burn things in your own property.

ReputationRep:
    The only real reason to burn a flag would be to piss off somebody else... Annoying people shouldn't be encouraged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Are you allowed to burn stuff on public property in the UK? There's nothing to say you can't burn things in your own property.
    Creating a fire hazard can be illegal, even if it's your own stuff you're burning.

ReputationRep:
    If people weren't so ridiculously sentimental towards a what is essentially a died piece of cloth, no one would burn flags anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous that it's a crime to burn the American flag on the basis that it's anti patriotic, yet you can burn the constitution, the embodiment of 'American freedom' at your pleasure with no rammifications.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.