Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to free up space on computer ... computer newb. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    :erm:

out of 55.8 GB, I have 910MB. that seems to be a little bit worrying. i'm just wondering if I freed up more space, would it possibly make it run faster? EDIT: the reason for the 60GB smallness is because this is a really old laptop. my other one is being fixed for a broken fan

and what should i delete?

can i delete "microsoft office professional edition 2003" & "microsoft office onenote 2003". I don't even know what that is

I clicked on Disk Cleanup, and it's asking me what things I should delete. Can I/should I delete "temporary files"?

Not to mention my Disk Defragmenter has decided not to work...

any help would be most appreciated, thanks

/fml

ReputationRep:
    I'd put everything you want on an external harddrive and then format your pc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

out of 55.8 GB, I have 910MB. that seems to be a little bit worrying. i'm just wondering if I freed up more space, would it possibly make it run faster?

can i delete "microsoft office professional edition 2003" & "microsoft office onenote 2003". I don't even know what that is

I clicked on Disk Cleanup, and it's asking me what things I should delete. Can I/should I delete "temporary files"?

/fml
    You can delete all the programs you don't use. And yes, you can delete the temporary files.

Maybe you should download CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

out of 55.8 GB, I have 910MB. that seems to be a little bit worrying. i'm just wondering if I freed up more space, would it possibly make it run faster?

/fml
    You should keep Office 2003, unless you have a newer version, as that includes things like Word and Powerpoint. You can probably get rid of Onenote though.

You can also remove everything in Temporary Files, and you can try emptying the Recycle Bin as well.

Apart from that, go to Control Panel and click on Programs and Features. It should come up with a list of all the programs you have installed, and any which you don't regularly use you can get rid of. It should say how much space each one takes up and when you last used it.

Back up all your documents and music on a DVD which you should keep safe and then move the original copies on to a USB stick or something.

When you've done all that, if you still don't have enough space the only other thing I can think of is to get a bigger hard drive.

ReputationRep:
    A 60GB hard disk is extremely small, you can get a 500GB hard drive for around £25.

You can look at how much space a file takes up by right clicking and going to properties, you can also see how much memory programs take up in add/remove programs on the control panel. You can move personal files to DVD, USB or where-ever and you can uninstall programs you don't want.

More memory (of both types) may make your computer faster but you have to see the difference between RAM memory (chips) and Disk space (hard drive).
    Generally more RAM is better, but it's not the memory you're talking about.

Here's a disk defragmenter: http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.