Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to get stuck at Birmingham new street because of the snow today!! I was trying to get from hull to reading, and well, failed, obviously ... So ive found myself in a hotel for the night.

How is the weather affecting everyone else? anyone got any funny stories from today to share?

ReputationRep:
    Not stranded but my train got into Paris at like 2am last night, making walking the snowy streets an interesting experience.

ReputationRep:
    I nearly got snowed in... at work...
    So they let me go early
    Hope you get back okay!

ReputationRep:
    Meant to be flying home for xmas, Flight cancelled. My house mate was meant to fly home to Madrid, and her flight was cancelled. So we all stook in bristol together :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonpickles)
    Meant to be flying home for xmas, Flight cancelled. My house mate was meant to fly home to Madrid, and her flight was cancelled. So we all stook in bristol together :P
    aww that sucks! can you not get another flight in the week? hope you manage to get back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    aww that sucks! can you not get another flight in the week? hope you manage to get back

I transfered to a flight on Sunday, and my neighbour has one on Monday, My flat mate meant to flying out to berlin on Sunday aswell, so we are all hoping it clears up!

ReputationRep:
    Me and my housemate were meant to be going home from uni this morning. We decided against it since the snow in Birmingham was meant to be terrible. We opted to go to Morrisons, stock up on bread, beans, cheese, chicken and Ben and Jerry's and feast until we can go home tomorrow

One of my housemate's friends missed his connection in Kualar Lumpur because of the snow. He's stuck there and can't get another flight until the 27th!

Two of my old school friends live in London now, and they're both basically saying "Thank God we left when we did" when coming up to Edinburgh for Christmas.

I've got another friend trying to get back to Belfast... fun times. I think she's planning on giving up waiting for her endlessly delayed flight and try getting the ferry instead.

ReputationRep:
      Biiiiig Eurostar delays today. Will be fun trying to get to London..

ReputationRep:
      I had to walk 6 miles home from work on Friday because buses and taxis weren't running. It took 2 hours.

ReputationRep:
      The main road I live on is completely snowed under... no buses or cars can get up the hill. So even though I can get to London ok.. I won't be able to get home.
      And apparently there is more snow to come...

ReputationRep:
      Okay now stranded. Waited for six hours at la Gare du Nord today for no train. Back at 5am tomorrow. Free hotel room. Could be worse..

ReputationRep:
      I got home ok! One flat mate still in heathrow since friday morning!, and another stuck in Luton!

ReputationRep:
      Got into London Victoria from Canterbury, thought I should check if my connection to Devon was still running. It wasn't. Queued for almost an hour to see if I could make it onto another coach going the same way... as soon as I got to the front there was an announcement. "All coaches to Cornwall, Devon and Bristol have been cancelled for the rest of the day."

:unimpressed:

So there I go to Victoria train station, got the circle line to Paddington, dragged my stuff along to a train into Devon. Got it with a minute to spare as it decided to come in at an entirely different platform.

Soo, got that train, we got into reading and the train in front of us held us up for ever because it had a fuel leak.

:unimpressed:

Finally got moving again, bought a hot chocolate and spilled it all over my leg.

:unimpressed::unimpressed:

Got in at 5:40pm, started off at 9:00. am

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rockrunride)
      Okay now stranded. Waited for six hours at la Gare du Nord today for no train. Back at 5am tomorrow. Free hotel room. Could be worse..
      What's it like in Paris?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sandys1000)
      What's it like in Paris?
      Very snowy on Saturday and Sunday morning when trains started getting disrupted. Monday was horrible, no queueing system in place at all, an unofficial queue formed but broke into a bottleneck after five hours of waiting. Subsequently found out that no further trains would be going.

Back in England now though. Got to la gare at 5am today Paris time, took off at 8.30 and got into St Pancras at 11am London time. Finally got home at about half 1.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rockrunride)
      Very snowy on Saturday and Sunday morning when trains started getting disrupted. Monday was horrible, no queueing system in place at all, an unofficial queue formed but broke into a bottleneck after five hours of waiting. Subsequently found out that no further trains would be going.

Back in England now though. Got to la gare at 5am today Paris time, took off at 8.30 and got into St Pancras at 11am London time. Finally got home at about half 1.
      At least you weren't travelling on from there

ReputationRep:
      Wondering if I'm going to make it back to the UK tomorrow, flying into Birmingham in the evening. Then I've got an hr and half of trains.. Can't say I'm particularly optimistic as 15cm of snow is expected overnight. Should be interesting as ive left my mobile back in the UK.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.