Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many of you live away from your parents? Not just uni students but other. How much do you pay in rent? Do you like living with other people.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a shared house with some other young professionals. I pay £400 per month, including bills. I don't really enjoy sharing, if I'm honest. I'm not the most sociable type, I prefer to sit in my room and listen to music. I suppose it forces me to be around people though, and I'm guaranteed some company when I want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)
    I live in a shared house with some other young professionals. I pay £400 per month, including bills. I don't really enjoy sharing, if I'm honest. I'm not the most sociable type, I prefer to sit in my room and listen to music. I suppose it forces me to be around people though, and I'm guaranteed some company when I want it.
    Do you live in Clifton? Whats it like when you have dinner etc does it get annoying. Do people have their boyfriends/girlfrieds over what is allowed etc. May I ask what you work as and how much you earn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Do you live in Clifton? Whats it like when you have dinner etc does it get annoying. Do people have their boyfriends/girlfrieds over what is allowed etc. May I ask what you work as and how much you earn?
    Nah, Bedminster. We tend to all make our own meals, but we do eat at different times so we don't usually have any issues with that. We do sometimes eat together, if someone has the inspiration to cook for everyone. But that's rare.

Only one girl has a boyfriend, and he's over here almost all the time. We all get along with him. People are fine (and polite, and discreet) if you bring someone home. But we have had the odd occasion when friends have stayed over and gotten a bit noisy and pissed off the rest of the house. We generally have quite a laid back house, though.

Sure, I'm a trainee solicitor and earn £17k atm =)

ReputationRep:
    from 15-17 I lived with a couple of my brothers and I absolutely loved it except they didn't know what the word privacy meant, stole all my food, stole money, stole whatever they wanted actually, and were really inconsiderate with the bathroom.
    My mum was paying the mortgage so we just paid the rent.

From 18-19 I lived with my boyfriend and my best friend. It was a slight nightmare because he treated us like his parents, wanting us to cook his dinner, do his laundy, do all the cleaning etc. He was, however, very respectful of property and privacy. We paid £266 a month each for a huge converted old school house which was gorgeous. Bills were virtually nothing because we didn't have a fridge/freezer/washing machine or anything.

Then I moved back in with my brothers which was a nightmare because I'd learned what it was like not to have all your stuff nicked.

Then I lived on and off with friends which was great. Could get alone time when you wanted it but usually someone up for playing some xbox or a board game or just having a chat. I ended up doing all the cleaning and stuff but I didn't mind because they weren't charging me rent but would have been an issue otherwise.

Now, at 21, I live alone with my boyfriend and it does my head in that he's really untidy and unclean around the place and it's not as fun as living with friends. It is unbelievably nice to be able to come home and chill out without having to say anything to anyone though, not have to worry if you want to play loud music, no getting annoyed with other people playing loud music, no arguments over the bathroom, no falling out with people over household stuff, no having to consult people over decisions like pets, decorating etc etc.
    We rent a flat from my dad for £350 a month but it's tied in with my job. Bills are about £70 a month and council tax is £90 a month.

ReputationRep:
    $1150 USD a month

I don't live with other people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.