Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the title above states, I reallllyyy want to do ESPS. In fact, the only other course that rivals my desire to take it is PPE. I took my IB Diploma last year and got the following score:

English A1 HL: 5
    History HL: 7
    Economics HL: 7
    French Ab Initio SL: 6
    Biology SL: 7
    Maths SL: 7
    EE: A
    ToK: C

Total: 41

Now, if I were to do ESPS I'd naturally choose French as my second language, but there's a problem: The entry requirements state that I need to have taken the second language at the 'B' level, rather than the 'Ab Initio' one (just one level lower) and every time I see that I feel like banging my head against a wall .

I really want to know whether I won't even be considered as a potential applicant with this score, and whether there's a way I can prove to UCL that I can take on ESPS. I like learning languages and don't see myself having much difficulty with French.

I already emailed Tessa Robinson, Admissions Officer of UCL ESPS and now have to wait for her reply. But will it take a long time considering that:
    a) It's the holidays
    b) There's probably a huge list of people wanting to talk to her as well

I'd bear the cost and am willing to call her from here, Singapore, but I don't have easy access to the phones on weekdays due to my ongoing conscription and am still worried that she wouldn't be in during the holidays.

Can any kind souls in this forum help me please? This is really knawing at me.

(Note: I accidentally posted this in the Applications and UCAS subforums, so this is a case of double-posting. If any mods see fit to delete that thread please do so)

ReputationRep:
    Well. Why don't you take one of the languages offered on ESPS a.b. initio rather than French? From memory, you can do Italian, Dutch and Russian a.b. initio.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Can you please show me where I could get more information on this? From all I've read there no such option exists, unless you're talking about taking another language on top of the second one you've chosen to study.

ReputationRep:
    You can choose an ab initio major language (now Dutch, Italian, Swedish/Norwegian/Danish, Russian; I thought German had been changed to ab initio as well but the website hasn't been updated to reflect this so I don't know if that's true) and keep French as a minor language, although you will not be able to do your year abroad in France or continue with French past your second year. You have to have done French to HL or A2 standard so I don't think you will be able to do French as a major language. If you really want to do French I suppose you could just take it at A Level and apply with that as an extra.

info on major/minor languages is here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/esps/prospectiv.../languages.htm and here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/esps/prospectiv...-structure.htm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.