Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Language- Writing to inform, explain and describe. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am doing my english language gcse this year

I find it impossible to gain good marks in it. every essay I have done I have done badly in it. But I want an A* in it. Does anyone know how to answer questions in this category or any tips on how to?

My teacher says I need to write in a style that suits the particular audience that the task is aimend at. She also says I hav to get the tone of my writing right? But how do I do this?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Describe is always the way to go. Think about it - it's one of the two only papers you can show off your writing skills in. Informing is really limited and explaining can't really show off any imagination tbf.

The A*s usually have a very good sense of imagination and a well planned work that flows. You usually need to vary the sentence, paragraphs etc. It's geniunely a good read and sustains interest.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is though in my exam board (CCEA) all 3 elements (infom, explain and desscribe) are incorporated into one question, so you have to do all 3.

Therefore I require tips on all 3 and how to make it appropriate to my audience and the tone of my writing.

ReputationRep:
    Any help please?

ReputationRep:
    As general advice, be thoughtful and plan.

I can guarantee that all three answers give credit for being systematic and sequential, apart from describe. That said, you usually progressive with a descriptive piece - having a good opening/ending would boost your marks here.

Use imaginative vocabulary, and learn to enjoy writing. Craft your writing into something you are proud of - develop your own style, and don't let anybody tell you how to write, just listen to their feedback.

I hope this helps??
    Kins

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.