Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just trying to understand why some people are so motivated to get into IB that they just study for the sake of getting a grade, not because they are actually interested in their degree subject.

Is it the money? If it is, then I want to understand why fistfuls of cash is such a motivator? Surely a job with fewer work hours and more interesting work (such as engineering or teaching) leads to a more fulfilling and higher quality of life?

ReputationRep:
    Banker. At one point, they'll have a salary of £200k per year. But wait! BONUS = £700,000! HURRAY!

Statistically, the youngest people to go and buy a Ferrari, Mercedes, are investment bankers - usually 23 year olds.

Go figure.

My goal is to be an investment banker, all I do is study all day and night =D (I do have friends, and I can easily sprint 100m in about 13 seconds - so don't generalise people who study hours and hours a day as fat lonely people)

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people that I know who want to do it basically want to spend about 5-10 years doing IB, earn shed loads and then go and work for a hedge fund (apparently the hours are better).

I think the people who are motivated by money are generally very competitive, and once you leave school/uni, earning a lot of money is how you show that you're at the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McMannBean)
    I'm just trying to understand why some people are so motivated to get into IB that they just study for the sake of getting a grade, not because they are actually interested in their degree subject.

Is it the money? If it is, then I want to understand why fistfuls of cash is such a motivator? Surely a job with fewer work hours and more interesting work (such as engineering or teaching) leads to a more fulfilling and higher quality of life?
    Since when has being a teacher or engineeer been more fulfilling or interesting?

Greed is good brah. Now go buy yourself a whole buncha sh*t you dont need to boost the economy.

ReputationRep:
    Pshh teaching..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McMannBean)

''first you get the money then you get the power, then you get the women''
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Poll
What newspaper do you read/prefer?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.