Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Curse my old-style Crisps Mindset! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, no matter what I do, I always, ALWAYS do this!

I just went to the cupboard to the multipack of crisps I bought, sat down to munch on a packet, and BAM! Salt and Vinegar! But I bought Cheese and Onion, the GREEN packet!

Oh, wait, they've not been in the green packet for about a BZILLION years.

Does anyone else do this? For years, if I'm not paying attention, I instinctively just pick up the green bag and get instantly disappointed that I've, once again, picked up the salt and vinegar.*

*Ps, there's nothing wrong with Salt and Vinegar whatsoever, in fact, I love them, but when you're after Cheese N'unyin, it doesn't compare!

ReputationRep:
    Oh snap!

ReputationRep:
    Walkers cheese and onion have always been green, and their salt and vinegar have always been blue. This has never changed

Other companies tend to do it the other way around though, Golden Wonder do and so do most own-brand crisps. But this has never really changed either, so you're not confused due to companies changing their colours, you're just getting brands mixed up.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was the rise of Walkers that changed the standard though; I grew up with Golden Wonder, Tayto etc; the standard was Cheese and Onion = green packet, Dark Blue = Ready Salted and Light Blue = Salt and vinegar.

Of course when Walkers got popular the red ones ('Red'y salted... chortle) were easy enough to figure out but as a kid, grabbing a particular colour of crisps only to realise they were the opposite flavour was pretty annoying.

Apparently Walkers wanted to differentiate themselves as a brand; I guess it worked.

But it's like a new brand of chocolate coming out, where they put the chocolate with caramel in the green wrapper and the chocolate with mint in the yellow wrapper...

ReputationRep:
    Walkers cheese and onion are blue and Salt and Vinegar green. No idea why as every other cheese and onion and salt and vinegar are the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I think it was the rise of Walkers that changed the standard though; I grew up with Golden Wonder, Tayto etc; the standard was Cheese and Onion = green packet, Dark Blue = Ready Salted and Light Blue = Salt and vinegar.

Of course when Walkers got popular the red ones ('Red'y salted... chortle) were easy enough to figure out but as a kid, grabbing a particular colour of crisps only to realise they were the opposite flavour was pretty annoying.

Apparently Walkers wanted to differentiate themselves as a brand; I guess it worked.

But it's like a new brand of chocolate coming out, where they put the chocolate with caramel in the green wrapper and the chocolate with mint in the yellow wrapper...
    Tayto lol, are you Irish? My flatmate used to go on about how much she missed them and bring huge boxes of them back every time she went home :moon:

I grew up with Golden Wonder as well, and Safeway's own brand haha. I remember finding Walkers different colours annoying and weird when I was younger, but I'm used to it now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.