Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to
    1.Southampton-History
    2.Southampton-Education
    3.Roehampton-History
    4.Plymouth-History
    5.Greenwich-History

As you can see I'm not 100% what course to do or where exactly to go.

I mucked my AS' up (C=Geog, C=History, B=DT) but I haven't cashed them in yet so the Uni's dont know what i got

I was just wondering how likely/often universities drop their entry requirements and if certain uni's do it more reguarly.

e.g. Southampton wants AAB, much chance of them dropping it?

( I know it depends partly on my PS but roughly how likely is it?)

Thanks!

(sorry if a similar post laready exists)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INQUISITIVE-)
    1.Southampton-History
    2.Southampton-Education
    3.Roehampton-History
    4.Plymouth-History
    5.Greenwich-History

I mucked my AS' up (C=Geog, C=History, B=DT) but I haven't cashed them in yet so the Uni's dont know what i got

I was just wondering how likely/often universities drop their entry requirements and if certain uni's do it more reguarly.

Thanks!

Unfortunately due to the competitiveness of university places these days it is very unlikely that the university would lower their entry requirements for you. It might be worth a shot if you can get your teachers to predict you at least AAB, and go for some resits, or aim for universities with lower entry requirements.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    ahhh ok :/

thanks anyway lol

was hoping they lowered them more, one of my mates got offered chemistry at reading with a reduced offer of 2 E's.

lucky/smart sod!

ReputationRep:
    1.Southampton-History
    2.Southampton-Education
    3.Roehampton-History
    4.Plymouth-History
    5.Greenwich-History

Thanks!

is it wise to study history at university if you are struggling with it now?
    I hope im not being mean but it could be an expensive waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh ok :/

thanks anyway lol

was hoping they lowered them more, one of my mates got offered chemistry at reading with a reduced offer of 2 E's.

lucky/smart sod!
    That was very likely to have been because he was a strong candidate predicted good grades, and the uni wanted to show how interested they were in him as a candidate.

In your case, even with resits pending, unless your predicted grades match what the unis are asking for, you are unlikely to get an offer. History is one of the most competitive courses going, so lowering entry requirements is highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible you could get an offer if you have a good personal statment.

But it also depends on other factors, unis are more likely to give a lower offer if you go to a state school with a bad track record for A-Level grades and despite your grades being mediocre overall are actually high in comparison to other in your sixth-form. Or if you have some kind of disability which effects your results. Plus the popularity of the course you are applying for is a big factor.

I got a conditional offer to study BA archaeology at The University of Reading, it says on their website they want 280-340 UCAS points for 3 A-Levels. But I only got BBD in my AS-Levels and am only predicted BCC.

ReputationRep:
    If you are unsure what course do go for maybe you could try combined honours, i.e Joint History & Education. I've heard some people argue that combined honours are slightly less competitive plus you could always switch to single honours if you realise one of the subjects isn't for you? If you find out a degree isn't for you it can e an exspensive mistake so best hedge your bets.

As for grades I can't see offers being lowered this year with competition for places before the fees increase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phill232)
    is it wise to study history at university if you are struggling with it now?
    I hope im not being mean but it could be an expensive waste of money.
    yeaah i can see what you mean but i was predicted an A so hopefully it was just a bad test :/

and i guess going to a grammar school doesn't bode well then? could it actually count against me?

ReputationRep:
    yeaah i can see what you mean but i was predicted an A so hopefully it was just a bad test :/

and i guess going to a grammar school doesn't bode well then? could it actually count against me?
    Did you feel like you struggled at the time? Do you remember it going badly, or are you trying to explain a result?

Because I got a B in my AS, and that was because I had one exam go extremely well (it was full marks I think, or if not only dropped one or two), one go mediocrely (a high-mid B) and one go badly (low-mid C). I tried to say that the C one went badly but, if I was being honest, I thought I did very well on that and tried my hardest; even a retake only made it into a low B. Seeing as that was the 'analyse the sources' one rather than the factual ones which had gone better, it was what made me realise history at anything higher than A-level wasn't for me.

So, be honest - do you remember it as a bad exam, or have you perhaps reached the end of the road for history?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.