Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a good business studies degree from the "Universität Mannheim" enough for IB? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently aspiring toward a business studies degree from the "Universität Mannheim". In Germany the Universität Mannheim is generally considered to be the best university for business studies and it ranks among the best universitites for an MBA in Europe. Besides it is the 8best university for an MBA according to the "Global Masters in Management" ranking from the Financial Times).

From some German forums I know that it is a target university for numerous I-Banks like Goldman Sachs or JPMorgen Chase here in Frankfuer. However as I'd like to work in New York or London I ask me if let's say Goldman Sachs will take me for an internship without having a bachelor from Harvard/Oxford/LSE/...

Any answers are greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Let's see...

- Mannheim is one of the leading universities in Germany when it comes to business and economics. That being said, at least WHU, ESB, LMU, Bonn and Cologne (and, ironically, EBS probably, too) would challenge the view that Mannheim is the leading university in these fields
    - the MBA programme of the MBS is quite decent, usually found somewhere between the 20th and 50th place worldwide (which still surprises me in a way)
    - an MBA is not a masters degree in management. For management, Mannheim is probably the runner-up after ESB. Not that rankings would matter that much...

That being said, decent grades in Mannheim (1.x / outstanding candidates with 2.5 or better; ideally with a quantitative focus) should satisfy the academic requirements for mentioned banks - which slightly differ for specific roles. As long as you're a strong candidate when it comes to extracurricular activities and you show off your "will to win", you should have chances similar to "Harvard/Oxford/LSE/..." students. What's being taught in Mannheim is rather similar to what's being taught at least at LSE (I'm not aware of the curriculum at the other universities) and the larger banks should be well aware of that. Besides, there's always the option to do an internship at one of the German banks in London [first and foremost: Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank + Dresdner Kleinwort] or New York.

To sum up: get good or very good grades and focus as much as you can on "proper" extracurricular activities (that either show that you have a specific skill you're very, very good at [winning regional or national contests is usually helpful] or that you're a driven and entrepreneurial person who's successful in whatever he's doing) and you should have a realistic chance for an internship and later on a graduate job. However, I'd advise you to apply for jobs in Frankfurt as well. The economic climate in London is rather unpleasant right now and finding a decent internship/graduate job is probably as hard as it has never been before. I doubt it's any better in the States.

Additional tip: learn how to spell correctly. It will greatly enhance your application. Even more importantly, work on your English in general.

ReputationRep:
    its good enuogh for London. Have seen people from all kinds of german unis in London, but Mannheim is probably the most targeted.

ReputationRep:
    I gained a summer internship at an American BB in my final year at a leading German uni. I didnt get an offer and am doing a Masters in the UK now. Naturally I got way more interview invites with the latter on my CV (Citi, Nomura and the US BB vs. every bank on the street). But yeah main point being: it is doable, just dont **** up your summer internship.

And btw if you want to do trading, apart from DB, noone has proper trading operations in Frankfurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    I gained a summer internship at an American BB in my final year at a leading German uni. I didnt get an offer and am doing a Masters in the UK now. Naturally I got way more interview invites with the latter on my CV (Citi, Nomura and the US BB vs. every bank on the street). But yeah main point being: it is doable, just dont **** up your summer internship.

And btw if you want to do trading, apart from DB, noone has proper trading operations in Frankfurt.
    Could also be the internship helping you to get interviews.

Commerzbank has a big trading floor in Frankfurt (esp, if they kept the DrK one, which afaik was the largest in europe or so they claimed) and UniCredit had a big trading operation in Munich, HSBC and Macquarie in Dusseldorf (iirc) ... but yeah, not exactly BBs.
    But the industry is a lot less decentralzied in germany anyway, so simply talking about Frankfurt is unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)

Commerzbank?

edit: love the fact I was given negative rep for this harmless comment...
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Poll
Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.