Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No pictures unfortunately. I've been contemplating getting a transition from long to medium-short hair and I was wondering if anyone here has done so, and knew what they wanted done when they went. I'm male and my hair covers my ears to a length that levels the jawline. It's fairly dark, quite thick and curls when it grows a certain length (although I straighten). The problem is I never know what I want when going to the hairdressers/barbers, I normally just say a 'trim' or a certain amount in certain places.

What should I say when I go next time, has anyone got advice as to how they decided what they wanted or have any suggestions as to where they looked for hairstyles? I want it short because I'm getting sick of long(ish) hair, but have no clue even as to what I want. Any help appreciated and apologies for lacking detail/knowledge/pictures.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have reaaallly long hair and thought about getting it cut for a couple of months. Then in February - after 2-3 months of thinking about it - I got it chopped from elbow length to really short bob. I HATED it.

So really, no matter how much you think about something, if it's very different you'll never know whether you will like it or not - all I'd say is look at a load of pictures of men's hairstyles of different lengths. Maybe find a celebrity that has similar face shape or features to you so you can compare what suits them to what may suit you?

It also depends on your clothes-style and what would suit your usual wardrobe...Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piya21)
    I used to have reaaallly long hair and thought about getting it cut for a couple of months. Then in February - after 2-3 months of thinking about it - I got it chopped from elbow length to really short bob. I HATED it.

So really, no matter how much you think about something, if it's very different you'll never know whether you will like it or not - all I'd say is look at a load of pictures of men's hairstyles of different lengths. Maybe find a celebrity that has similar face shape or features to you so you can compare what suits them to what may suit you?

It also depends on your clothes-style and what would suit your usual wardrobe...Good luck!
    Gah, thanks. It's a very hard thing trying to work out what YOU want and then portraying this image on to your hairdresser. I've been looking around, I'd actually quite something similar to Josh Holloway when he has short hair, but I'm not exactly sure if his features are identical to mine. Cheers though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.