Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I want to get healthier again. Last year I was doing one day on one day off cardio for about 1 - 2 hours each time. Then i got unhealthy. Now I want to get healthy again, but its snowing. I don't want to go to the gym till I back at university where I can sign up, so in the mean time what can I do? I've a cycling bike in my house but its crap. Running seems dangerous, unless maybe I run on a field or something and take the falls like a man. Anything else? Swimming maybe, but the though of leaving the swimming pool and heading outside to the freezing cold just isn't appealing to me....

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    at Home :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Buy a big assed truck/tractor tyre.

Youtube the tyre-flipping technique.

Make sure you have enough room to flip it.

Go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Drag sombody in a tire or sled or whatever.
    Push sombody in a tire or sled or whatever.

Lots of things you can do. Pretty much the same as if there waasn't snow. Don't be a wimp and get out there. It's only snow and cold weather. It'll do you more good than harm. Infact it'll build mental toughness and thats a big important thing to have.

ReputationRep:
    Get a shovel and clear your road of snow. Will keep you busy. Then speed build a snowman.

I saw someone jogging on the snow yesterday, he seemed fine?

ReputationRep:
    Snow shovelling is good exercise and useful (though keep proper technique in mind, or you'll get a really sore lower back).
    And nothing stopping you from running I go in the mornings, and usually try to keep to the deep snow, because it offers better friction and resistance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyM)
    So I want to get healthier again. Last year I was doing one day on one day off cardio for about 1 - 2 hours each time. Then i got unhealthy. Now I want to get healthy again, but its snowing. I don't want to go to the gym till I back at university where I can sign up, so in the mean time what can I do? I've a cycling bike in my house but its crap. Running seems dangerous, unless maybe I run on a field or something and take the falls like a man. Anything else? Swimming maybe, but the though of leaving the swimming pool and heading outside to the freezing cold just isn't appealing to me....

Thoughts?
    If you're going to train, it needs to be consistent, there's no point in faltering every time the weather gets bad. I signed up for a marathon end of January 2010, the race was in April 2010 so I had to start training straight away and it was snowing then. I didn't fall over once in the snow. I actually prefer running in the snow, the snow cushions the impact of running on the pavement and I got less dehydrated. I read in a book that some runners get their best times from running in cold weather.

Other than running, I do all my training at home, it's convenient and costs me nothing other than the initial outlay for equipment. I have a pull up bar for my door frame, my own weights and a skipping rope. I also have a body opponent bag (a punch bag shaped like a human torso.) Most of the exercises I do don't require any equipment though i.e. press ups and crunches.

ReputationRep:
    Uhn.. Skiing! duh..

Go skiing every day. Skiing is one of the best things you can do for your glutes and thighs, arms and torso. It works your whole body.
    (Not talking about wandering around the streets in skiis.. Find a track, where you could usually jog or something, and do race-skiing using your arms to push off and feet to kick off every stride)
    Skiers have the most amazing glutes!

Or, if its not your thing, check with a close gym if you can get a 1 month membership (like i did )

ReputationRep:
    I have just been sat here considering the same thing. Weights are not an option today So maybe I'll try a snow run... It's only 3.5 miles.

I decided that waiting until the new year to train is just one big excuse - and also that I'm gona be pretty busy a few days into the new year so best get motivated sooner.

My options at the mo are: walk the dogs in the snow, short snow run, clear the snow off the garden - maybe the birds will appreciate it?? Umm possibly hit the gym, but I'm not a huge fan. Oo maybe I should buy a pull up bar for my room? I swear my door frame wouldn't hold it though :/

I'm really only posting so I can come back to anymore suggestions

ReputationRep:
    I go out jogging every evening. It is very icy on the roads and pavements so I go to the nearby park (with my dog) and jog on the grass. I know what you mean about being too cold, but it's only cold until you start jogging..afterwards you actually want someone to throw a bucket of cold water over you lol So don't worry, all you really need is tough mentality and drive to make yourself do it as someone else said

Good luck! and don't slip whatever you do, as it hurts A LOT

ReputationRep:
    I've done training in the snow. I'm not sure whether it's the most stupid thing I've done or the most bold. If you do go training in the snow (like rocky IV) wear some protective clothing because you *will* fall. I suggest kevlar lined clothing and gloves, just make sure not to break any bones.

Better still go swimming. Wait till the cold season goes before jogging again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Why was I negged for this?
    I can only speculate but I'd assume that it has something to do with the fact that you spam multiple threads with this very comment.

Ignore it and keep quiet and the negs will stop.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.