Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What a " Troll "? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been posting on here for quite a long time and I've never know what it is. however every time someone disagrees with something I say I get called a troll. So a troll is someone is someone who makes a statement which you don't agree with?

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia is your friend:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

ReputationRep:
    No a troll is a mythical creature which usually lives under bridges, scaring goats. They're sometimes smuggled into dungeons and used as a distraction by creating mass panic. Thought you ought to know.

ReputationRep:
    yes or if you try make a joke then you are also a troll

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Isn;t a troll someone who deliberately says stuff that will offend and shock?

ReputationRep:
    You can type in Google 'internet troll' and you will get your answer.

ReputationRep:
    :troll:

gtfo of my computer.

(Original post by Miss Behaving)
      Isn;t a troll someone who deliberately says stuff that will offend and shock?
      If you are serious, then not necessarily. Someone might be a make a valid, controversial but a serious post and he is might be called a "troll".
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      I think trolls are when people post soemthing to try to get others to do something that they want e.g. someone who creates threads with a really weird thread's names and the contents of the threads are something that is hardly believable... The troll usually does that so that they get lots of posts on their thread or just to create a hto topic on the forum.... That is what I think it is... Not sure...

PS* You find lots of troll on TSR's H&R section!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S-man10)
      If you are serious, then not necessarily. Someone might be a make a valid, controversial but a serious post and he is might be called a "troll".
      Hence the reason I said deliberately...

ReputationRep:
      :iiam:

I've never seen one irl...

ReputationRep:
      One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument
      Is pretty spot on I think.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Stig)
      Is pretty spot on I think.

But what if the OP/writter is being genuine but still causing mass desstruction and argument, but with no intent to do so?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
      But what if the OP/writter is being genuine but still causing mass desstruction and argument, but with no intent to do so?
      Then they're not a troll. The key word is 'deliberately'.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Miss Behaving)
        Hence the reason I said deliberately...
        Err, if that was the case, then every user who starts a thread in D&D with the intent of having a civil debate can be called a troll.

ReputationRep:
        WHAT IS a troll* I am a troll

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
        You know you're bordering on troll, you cheeky tyke.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.