Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Inadequate? Watch

Announcements

Have you ever felt inadequate? If so, explain how and why.

Do you perhaps feel your appearance is 'inadequate', or do you have insecurities regarding your intelligence/personality etc?

I find that, even if I have achieved something good, I will feel inexplicably upset if I was not the best/no.1. An example - albeit a stupid one - is the game Checkers. Even if I beat most of the high ranked people, I will feel demoralised as soon as I lose to one guy, even if it's because he/she is the no.1 player.

I realise that's a poor example, but I think you get the picture. For me, despite my grades/university/any achievements I make etc, I always feel as if I am, in more than one way, inferior to others.

Perhaps you feel socially inadequate; inadequate in the sense that you feel almost guilty/unworthy of being around other people.

Whatever it may be, I'd like to hear how you feel, even if you're just brimming with confidence and have no latent insecurities.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think lots of people get these feelings from time to time. That's the trouble with being a perfectionist: you always have to be the best!

I felt pretty inadequate at uni and often feel like I'm a bad daughter/sibling/friend/insert relationship here. I feel inadequate as a musician and get annoyed when I can't do things, coz I can't accept that being ill and able to do less things than I used to :nah:

ReputationRep:
    sorry my mind turned itself off when i got to the part where it goes 'the game Checkers.'

seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. In pretty much every aspect! It's not something i like about myself at all.
    In particular when it comes to grades, i'll want to do the best of the best, and anything below the "best" is not good enough and dissapointing. Verrry stupid.
    Appearance wise, well, pretty sure i'm always going to stay inadequate when it comes to that =|

(Original post by rogreg8)
    sorry my mind turned itself off when i got to the part where it goes 'the game Checkers.'

seriously?
    I know it sounds stupid, but I am VERY competitive

ReputationRep:
    I feel inadequate about things that really shouldn't matter... especially now. But I'm usually rather self-confident. It really comes down to outside influence... people aren't always very tactful, and deconstructive criticism is especially true concerning this.

ReputationRep:
    perfectionism reeks my friend, it reeks. have you ever tried telling yourself that sometimes good enough is good enough? or that maybe it's good to lose every now and then - it humbles you :p:

i feel inadequate socially sometimes, when i'm around the big characters. and with appearance if i like someone and know that there are better looking girls out there that he could have

but i can't say i've ever felt inadequate enough to go home and think about it, i think that's what years of your mum telling you you're the most beautiful person ever does to you, even though you know deep down she's saying it because you're her daughter :bigsmile:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.