Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I cannot wait to go back to Uni. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not i hate being at home. We closed on Friday and as soon as i got home, i wanted to go back to uni. I don;t know how i'm going to cope for the next four weeks as i absolutely detest being home. Everyone i know is excited to have closed for the holidays except me.
    Few details:
    I took a gap year in order to get a job but i couldn't as i developed social phobia and severe depression.
    It was the WORST year of my life (so far as i'm only 19). I was EXTREMELY apprehensive and terrified about starting uni. I spent the first few nights feeling suicidal and couldn't even cry myself to sleep.
    However after a few days i adjusted and went out with my mates a lot. It's so muich fun getting drunk and i even had my first kiss with a random girl which was great even though it only lasted about 5 seconds. I also met a girl who's a solid 10/10 that happens to live on my floor in my halls of residence, who i get on with and have a massive crush on but she says we're just friends I've been seeing a uni counsellor and also on medication to help with the depression and my life has basically turned around. I can now go up to ANY girl without feeling any fear at all, whereas before i would get a heart attack even just by walking past one.
    In the past week before we closed, i met a girl who was up for it despite having a boyfriend who's away in Morocco, but i didn't do anything as i don't wanna lose my virginity to a random girl.
    Anyway since starting uni in September, the last 12 weeks have been the best weeks of my life WITHOUT A DOUBT ! I don't have many friends but i get on with pretty much everyone and if you saw me you wouldn't think i was the same person. I'm very confident, happy and relaxed whereas at home, I'm the complete opposite. I really hate being here as the next four weeks will be HELL!
    I can't wait to go back to uni even though i have exams as soon as we open.
    What are your thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    WOW! Transformation much? Be proud of yourself, enjoy time with your family and the festive season

But really well done on changing so much, good to see you're happy now

ReputationRep:
    Uni doesn't make you confident, happy and relaxed, you do.

Just don't think of it as, "Eugh, home," and it'll be different.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations. Get through Christmas and then head back as early as possible after. Use "studying" as an excuse or something.
    Glad you're loving uni. Uni is amazing

ReputationRep:
    I wish I felt the same. I was so thrilled with the prospect of finishing college and going travelling that uni was just a distant thought at the back of my mind. So I accepted whatever offer I got, from the best course that I got into. I DREAD going into uni. I havent met any new people (not people that I would see as fitting into my social life anyway, and evidently they feel the same way about me as they never get into contact) I am very socially awkward and just don't feel compatible with the people and my surroundings (I go to Bath Spa). All these people telling me that uni is the best thing that ever happened to them, I think they're full of ****. YOU make your life what it is, not the institution that you attend. If anything it just has the potential to bring out your better qualities. As much as I feel contempt for my hometown (I'm from Birmingham) and couldnt imagine myself going back, I feel as if I am stuck in limbo. I am naturally quite a sociable and inquisitive person but uni actually seems like it is a step backwards in my life, as most people just don't seem worth the effort. Not meaning to brag, but I had seen and done it all well before I started uni.

Sorry to hijack the thread, glad you are enjoying your time and holidays are nothing, they will fly by. Enjoy spending time with your relatives and friends and getting yourself back into the uni frame of mind, whilst im stuck in my own personal limbo.

ReputationRep:
    In reply to your topic: I can't wait to finish work next Thursday and have a week and a bit off :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGardener)
    Fellow Gap Year-e here. I understand what you're saying but I had to push through. I do have moments where I'm surrounded by 18 years and thinking "so immature" but in the same thought I think "hilarious". I've met quite a few gap year people at QMUL which is good. Best thing I can suggest is join a sports club or society that you like and bond with people that way. With January, you'll have refreshers so perfecto time to join

ReputationRep:
    Way to go OP! I'm in a slightly similar situation to you, I'm in second year though. During first year I was mostly happy but ended up getting screwed up mentally during the last term. I'm mostly over it now, but the summer wasn't much fun at all.

This term I got my first proper kiss and was dating someone for about a month before she/we broke it off. It's given me a bit of confidence boost though with regards to approaching girls in clubs etc. I still have some way to go but I'm working on that with going the gym, manning up and so on.

Unfortunately my friendship group is rather limited at home. I was a bit of a hermit before uni and my limited friends at home don't go out much. Would really love to go out drinking at home like in uni, but I don't have people to go with.

PM me if you want to talk.

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear a positive uni experience story on these boards for once. I would expect that the medication will have helped you massively; it's needed just to break the anxiety cycle.

(Original post by Future Doc)
      Fellow Gap Year-e here. I understand what you're saying but I had to push through. I do have moments where I'm surrounded by 18 years and thinking "so immature" but in the same thought I think "hilarious". I've met quite a few gap year people at QMUL which is good. Best thing I can suggest is join a sports club or society that you like and bond with people that way. With January, you'll have refreshers so perfecto time to join
      Haha I know what you mean as I took a gap year too, whoop at QMUL like me but you must be at the Whitechapel campus? How you finding it?

ReputationRep:
      Go back to uni then? I'm at uni and will be here until Thursday. And then I'm coming back here on New Years Eve

ReputationRep:
      you can look forward to going back now though , you won't have to worry about the future ( like me)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Future Doc)
      Cheers, I'll look into some societies next term, I had overlooked most of them to start with to be fair.

I wish I shared your optimism with regards to the immature students though. In the same thought, I just think 'annoying..'

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gemma2010)
      you can look forward to going back now though , you won't have to worry about the future ( like me)
      Why do you have to worry?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Inversion)
      Why do you have to worry?
      I don't know what I'm going to do next year or what I want to do. Bit of a complicated mess..

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cellophane11)
      Go back to uni then? I'm at uni and will be here until Thursday. And then I'm coming back here on New Years Eve
      This. I'm going back on Christmas eve and coming back on the 28th! Although I do live close so I'll be back home again at some point probably.

Still I enjoy Uni far more than being at home. I haven't really kept in touch with many mates from home at all and being with the family just gets stressful if it's more than a few days. So I'm glad that I've got a lot of Uni friends who like me are also spending a lot of Christmas at Uni!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gemma2010)
      I don't know what I'm going to do next year or what I want to do. Bit of a complicated mess..
      The best way to deal with your problems is to talk to someone about it.

(Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
      This. I'm going back on Christmas eve and coming back on the 28th! Although I do live close so I'll be back home again at some point probably.

Still I enjoy Uni far more than being at home. I haven't really kept in touch with many mates from home at all and being with the family just gets stressful if it's more than a few days. So I'm glad that I've got a lot of Uni friends who like me are also spending a lot of Christmas at Uni!
      Same with the home situation, wish some of my uni mates were staying over Christmas then I'd probably go back for new year!

ReputationRep:
      Home doesn't have to be a bad thing. You can use it to regain some energy and then go absolutely berserk when you hit campus again!

ReputationRep:
      Although I'm not at uni yet I can relate to your situation. I have OCD and Anxiety Disorder and it's difficult to explain how a certain place/situation/house etc. can make things feel so much worse and trigger some feelings. It's so good that you've been coping and enjoying uni! I'm really scared of university because of my problems, so you've given me hope
      I'm not sure I can actually give much advice to you...Maybe talk to your parents about it? If they're understanding. All I can say is I think I understand and I hope it gets better Not long until you'll be back at uni and enjoying things Try to enjoy Christmas

ReputationRep:
      I know it's hard to deal with, but you've got to remember that you won't be living at Uni forever, you can't become dependant on it.

I'm really pleased that your Uni experience is going well ... just remember that the only reason you're feeling so sad and depressed is because you've got something so great to go back to!

Without the holidays and the realisation of life outside of Uni, you wouldn't be able to appreciate how great it is.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.