Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Recently, ETH Zurich has been brought to my attention and I'm considering applying to there next year. Before I do so though, there are a few things that I need to know, mainly to do with the language requirements they have.

Firstly, is having a good command over the German (high/standard) language enough or is knowledge of the Swiss German dialect a requirement?

Secondly, how close to complete fluency in German is required by ETH? Obviously, a very solid understanding is required being as undergraduate lectures are given in German but I imagine that spending time in Switzerland would improve my German quickly. For now I'm most interested in are the exams to show proficiency in German that you are required to take before being offered a place. Has anyone got a copy of a past level C1 level exam that I could take a look at? Or perhaps another user has taken the exam and could explain a bit about it? My German is at a reasonable level at the moment but I intend to improve it significantly during the course of the year.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    For courses abroad it seems to be quite common for there to be an intensive language course for a month or two before term begins, for anyone who needs to be brought up to scratch. Have you checked if ETH Zurich has one. If not, simply move out there a month early and enroll in an intensive language immersion programme.

ReputationRep:
    For now I'm most interested in are the exams to show proficiency in German that you are required to take before being offered a place.
    http://www.rektorat.ethz.ch/students...eexam/index_EN

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.