Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the disability services like at these universities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to study BA archaeology at Reading, Worcester, Nottingham, Birmingham and Southampton.

I have aspergers syndrome and an eating disorder along with OCd and lots of anxiety problems.
    But my three big worries are, is there any extra financial help I can get because my household income is very low and I would find it almost impossible to get a part-time job that would not cause me serious distress.
    Then note taking as well, I cannot just summarise things, I take information word for word and surly it would be impossible for me to write absolutely everything in a lecture.
    Plus I need very clear instructions on what I am supposed to do, like if a teacher gives me a task I always have to ask them to be specific other wise I feel completely lost. But I am very academically able and have an intense interest in the subject I have chosen.

So I would like to get an idea of which universities out of my selection would be most helpful with my issues.
    Also any information on what help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much :-)

ReputationRep:
    Look behind you! I am standing behind you with a gun! Turn around!

But seriously, you should probably contact the universities individually. Can't imagine TSR being too helpful on this particular subject.

ReputationRep:
    You can get extra funding through the disabled student allowance which you apply for and then get assessed. Any recommendations in the report will be funded.
    To find about what unis are like I suggest
    look through their prospectus. Does it make any reference to disability policies or procedures. All unis must have a policy and will have a department, the more open they are about it the better.
    contact their support department and ask for any documents they have and voice your concerns. See how supportive or helpful they are.
    On an open day arrange by prior appointment to visit the department. Unbelievably when I did this one of the unis I visited, not on your list I must add, were not even opening their support department on the day and no one was available!
    Ask how supportive trhey are in arranging assessments for DSA.

As an aside I only had experience of one of your uni choices - Nottingham. When I did the things I recommend you do they were fantastic. I can't speak highly enough of the help they were prepared to offer, many things I hadn't even considered. I ended up going elsewhere though!

Final piece of advice - be as proactive as possible.

ReputationRep:
    For your problems you would definitely be entitled to help. I would apply for disabled students allowance as soon as possible as it can sometimes take a while. Also you would probablt be entitled to disabled living allowance which would help you with actual money as DSA would be whatr helps you with things such as extra support at uni whereas DLA would be there to help with general living costs xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.