Is it self-interest?

ReputationRep:
    Breeding. Well, that's my main motive.

ReputationRep:
    To help others.

ReputationRep:
    survival and reproduction?

and trolling.

Self-interest in whatever aspect of lifea human is involved in.

ReputationRep:
      fear and greed, it's all magnetics.

ReputationRep:
      Straight pimpin'. :perv:

ReputationRep:
      Fitra.

ReputationRep:
      I would say it's evangelism and to spread the gospel. It is the same in every group of people and faiths around the world, I think this is our most natural motivation because God is within every one of us.

(Original post by lesbionic)
        I would say it's evangelism and to spread the gospel. It is the same in every group of people and faiths around the world, I think this is our most natural motivation because God is within every one of us.
        You tell that to Dawkins.

In response to the OP's question I guess it is happiness.

ReputationRep:
        To breed and protect young.

ReputationRep:
        Survival?

ReputationRep:
        Aversion to pain (disregarding sadomasochists)

ReputationRep:
        The same as any other life form: we are nothing but a really really big molecule optimised for self-preservation. At the chemical level, we realise that the perceived dividing line between an organism and its offspring is just an illusion and the whole of life is one massive molecule undergoing constant renewals and changes to optimise its survival.

I would say that the motivation that best sets humans apart from other animals is the drive to understand the self. This is a result of self-awareness, which is itself a result of our ability to think outside ourselves - first in terms of other's motivations, then in terms of abstractions. This is what we call "intelligence", and it's turned out to be one of Nature's better brainwaves as regards self-preservation. Thinking outside ourselves ("intelligence") arises from our predecessor's complex social structure and the need to plan stuff out. It's believed that we went from living in forests to living on plains with all the lions and sabre-tooths, so instead of buggering about growing massive thighs to run with we decided to plan and evaluate where it would be best to hide.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Teveth)
        To help others.
        haha :grin:

I like Nietzsche's theory of the will to power, despite its pedantic appearance : constant self improvement and search for success to increase our chances of survival.

ReputationRep:
        Abraham Maslow had a pyramid with food at the bottom, then security, social interaction, self-esteem and self-actualisation at the top.

ReputationRep:
        Sex

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.