Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a computer with Linpus Linux installed, Want to wipe it asap and replace it with XP. I have a copy I downloaded from some Microsoft service website where you can get free access to as a student. Its on my external hard drive.

How do i go about this? is it tricky, could it cause me any real problems if i f*** up in the process?

:keyboard:

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Ive done it the other way. And havent looked back since. But id imagine you get the disc and whack it in. Then when you load it up and it asks you to partition the hard drive, make sure you DONT partition the hard drive, so all the hard drive is dedicated to XP...

Thats how it worked when i got linux from XP so im guessing its the same the other way...

ReputationRep:
    Burn it to a CD (or usb stick?) then just at startup press whatever button it is to load the CD and you should get the installer. (i'm a mac user)

With XP you might find yourself downloading sound card drivers and **** like that.
    if this makes no sense try google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    Burn it to a CD (or usb stick?) then just at startup press whatever button it is to load the CD and you should get the installer. (i'm a mac user)

With XP you might find yourself downloading sound card drivers and **** like that.
    Yeah thats the thing. XP is a bit of a ***** with stuff like that. So look forward to downloading **** for the next 6 months....

Make sure you've got your important data backed up. Burn the Windows ISO to a CD (make sure you do it properly - the ISO should unpack itself and copy all the files onto the CD for you, instead of burning the ISO as one file). Boot your machine from the CD and go through the installation procedure. When you get to the bit about choosing a partition, just choose to delete the one that has Linux on it, and create a new partition from the free space.

From then on, it should all be plain sailing. GRUB/LILO will be nuked by the Windows NTLDR bootloader and it'll be like Linux was never there.

EDIT: yeah, I agree with the others about XP being a PITA with regards to drivers. Vista and 7 have a lot more hardware working straight out of the box.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      Make sure you've got your important data backed up. Burn the Windows ISO to a CD (make sure you do it properly - the ISO should unpack itself and copy all the files onto the CD for you, instead of burning the ISO as one file). Boot your machine from the CD and go through the installation procedure. When you get to the bit about choosing a partition, just choose to delete the one that has Linux on it, and create a new partition from the free space.

From then on, it should all be plain sailing. GRUB/LILO will be nuked by the Windows NTLDR bootloader and it'll be like Linux was never there.

EDIT: yeah, I agree with the others about XP being a PITA with regards to drivers. Vista and 7 have a lot more hardware working straight out of the box.
      Its a Acer Revo net-top, has no disc drive so I will need to install from USB (forgot to mention).
      How do I unpack the XP ISO properly so it can install?

ReputationRep:
      specific info here:

http://www.revouser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      XP is totally inadequate. You should just put 7 on it.

ReputationRep:
      Is there any reason you are going for XP?
      I'm assuming the thing you are on about is MSDNAA (Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance). If so, then you should be able to get a copy of Windows 7 on there too. If your computer is anywhere near modern, win 7 will be a better choice than XP.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WelshBluebird)
      Is there any reason you are going for XP?
      I'm assuming the thing you are on about is MSDNAA (Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance). If so, then you should be able to get a copy of Windows 7 on there too. If your computer is anywhere near modern, win 7 will be a better choice than XP.
      Ive read and heard alot about how XP is the most well run of windows so-far but i'll look into it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Smousers)
      Ive read and heard alot about how XP is the most well run of windows so-far but i'll look into it.
      XP is good, but its nearly ten years old.
      It can't use modern hardware anywhere near as well as Windows 7 can, and MS are started to drop support for XP (a lot of their newer software won't work with it etc).
      Defo look into Windows 7.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.