The Student Room Group

Hate being at home. Advice please!!

So I got back from Uni the other day, and I already want to go back. I live in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. My mum has some kind of borderline personality disorder and anger issues (always has had). My little sister is always with her boyfriend/at work.

My room at home is soooooo tiny as well. I literally can't take anything out of my suitcase and the house is always freezing. I took a gap year so all my friends have good new friendships and everyones just kind of moved on except me, cos I just met my Uni friends a few months ago.

I'm ploughing on with work (even though Im not doing the degree I wanted) and just eating/sleeping. But it's making me so depressed I just cry all the time. Also, my mum has a bit of money put aside and she said she was gonna buy a flat in my Uni city with it and I could live in it. I said I'd rather live with my friends (this was before Uni) but now I feel thats a good idea as she won't give me money for rent and theres friend politics, I'd just like my own space. How do I even start to tell her I've changed my mind?

td;dr version
I hate being at home. How can I fill the void.
My mum was gonna buy a 1 bed flat which I could live in at Uni....but I said I'd rather live with my friends. Now I've changed my mind. How do I tell her?
Reply 1
I know how you feel! My friends started leaving uni to go home on Thursday and every time another one went it felt horrible, I'm not at home and there's nothing to do, I have work but it just seems like it's going to a be looong month. I'm arranging to go spend a week with a mate from uni though, maybe you could do that? That way it's not a whole month off, a week of xmas, a week of new year and essay writing, a week with my mate and then a week to finish my work and go back to uni!
Reply 2
Original post by curve1991
I know how you feel! My friends started leaving uni to go home on Thursday and every time another one went it felt horrible, I'm not at home and there's nothing to do, I have work but it just seems like it's going to a be looong month. I'm arranging to go spend a week with a mate from uni though, maybe you could do that? That way it's not a whole month off, a week of xmas, a week of new year and essay writing, a week with my mate and then a week to finish my work and go back to uni!

well tbh I think I may go back to Uni on the 3-5th cos we start back on the 7th anyways. And I might go for new year in Glasgow, so it may just be up til the 30/31st here....=11 days=not gonna slit my wrists.
Reply 3
Anyone know how I should breach the subject to my mum?
Reply 4
Original post by Workforce
There are people dying across the world through poverty and diseases, they haven't got water or bread.

Get a grip you spoilt bitch.

Christ, she was only asking for advice. We can't all be working every day to solve world poverty and disease, you know. She isn't spoilt, she is genuinely unhappy.

OP, my only advice would be to keep yourself occupied. Do you think you could, as someone else suggested, meet up with uni friends, or get in touch with old school friends. As for the flat situation, perhaps just say you've been thinking it through and think that it would be a good idea after all. Explain to her what you said above about having your own space etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Philbert
Christ, she was only asking for advice. We can't all be working every day to solve world poverty and disease, you know. She isn't spoilt, she is genuinely unhappy.

OP, my only advice would be to keep yourself occupied. Do you think you could, as someone else suggested, meet up with uni friends, or get in touch with old school friends. As for the flat situation, perhaps just say you've been thinking it through and think that it would be a good idea after all. Explain to her what you said above about having your own space etc.

Thanks....erm, just need some advice now!
Reply 6
Original post by Billydodger
Thanks....erm, just need some advice now!

My advice not good enough :colonhash:
Reply 7
So I got back from Uni the other day, and I already want to go back. I live in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. My mum has some kind of borderline personality disorder and anger issues (always has had). My little sister is always with her boyfriend/at work.

My room at home is soooooo tiny as well. I literally can't take anything out of my suitcase and the house is always freezing. I took a gap year so all my friends have good new friendships and everyones just kind of moved on except me, cos I just met my Uni friends a few months ago.

I'm ploughing on with work (even though Im not doing the degree I wanted) and just eating/sleeping. But it's making me so depressed I just cry all the time. Also, my mum has a bit of money put aside and she said she was gonna buy a flat in my Uni city with it and I could live in it. I said I'd rather live with my friends (this was before Uni) but now I feel thats a good idea as she won't give me money for rent and theres friend politics, I'd just like my own space. How do I even start to tell her I've changed my mind?

td;dr version
I hate being at home. How can I fill the void.
My mum was gonna buy a 1 bed flat which I could live in at Uni....but I said I'd rather live with my friends. Now I've changed my mind. How do I tell her?

Hey work somewhere.
Or just ask her see how it goes.
Reply 8
what about your friends from uni? you could talk to some of them and maybe organise something, or at least something when you get back so you've something to look forward to.

as with your mum, maybe if you just sat down with her, really seriously, and said that you feel like you'd like some of your own space, at least that would open some opportunities. she might say no but at least there's a chance she'll say yes if you ask!

also it'll help your case if you show that you're responsible enough to cope with living alone. help her out at home, or whatever. explain that you now feel like you're in a situation that you want to grow up and find things out for yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by Philbert
My advice not good enough :colonhash:

haha thanks I swear the 2nd paragraph didn't show up the first time. Good advice!
Reply 10
Original post by My Life
Hey work somewhere.
Or just ask her see how it goes.

Work would be good. Unfortunately I truly live in the middle of nowhere.
My best advice is to keep in touch with your friends from uni as much as you can over the holiday. 3 weeks might seem like a long time at the start, but it will fly by!
Reply 12
Work would be good. Unfortunately I truly live in the middle of nowhere.

Hmmmm may I ask where you live? Go onto google maps type in your home and find the nearest supermarket. lol :/
Reply 13
Original post by My Life
Hmmmm may I ask where you live? Go onto google maps type in your home and find the nearest supermarket. lol :/

Yeah lol...there is a supermarket not too far away and I sent in an application form a couple of months ago but nothing. Its quite a poor area so jobs in supermarkets needing no qualifications just go so quickly. I used to work in this little cafe as a waitress but I gave the job to my lil sister when I went away and theres not enough work for the both of us!
Reply 14
Yeah lol...there is a supermarket not too far away and I sent in an application form a couple of months ago but nothing. Its quite a poor area so jobs in supermarkets needing no qualifications just go so quickly. I used to work in this little cafe as a waitress but I gave the job to my lil sister when I went away and theres not enough work for the both of us!

Awwwww why dont you work at home? If your intrested ill PM you.
Reply 15
Original post by My Life
Awwwww why dont you work at home? If your intrested ill PM you.

OK lol I'll try anything!
Reply 16

Sent you a PM
Reply 17
Original post by My Life
Sent you a PM

Thank-you!! I will try but am a bit dyslexic so it may take me a while! :colondollar:
Reply 18
Thank-you!! I will try but am a bit dyslexic so it may take me a while! :colondollar:

Ok I have sent you another message regarding the rules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending