Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what age would you let your children have a mobile phone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you have / had children.

ReputationRep:
    No younger than 57.

ReputationRep:
    Im 23 and i dont have kids, but how about 15?

I certainly dont really see any point before highschool. I got my first phone when i started 6thform and while i appreciate times change i dont really get why someone at primary school would need a phone and the responsibility and cost that goes with that. Clearly at this age kids are ment to be in the play ground running about, pulling the girls hair, having theres pulled back, eating mud and having fun.That what i was doing anyway.

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Daniel, I am 17 and I only felt the need to have a phone when I started secondary school, I did have one before then but I only used it for playing Snake .

ReputationRep:
    ah wont be gittin' mah chillun phones at 7, ah pow'ful dont see th' point. At 7 they wont be roamin' th' streets an' wont be walkin' home fum skoo alone an' ah cannot reckon of enny situashuns whar they'd need a phone t'contack me

ReputationRep:
    Whenever they start nursery. That way, they can use the Google Maps app to find their way home.

ReputationRep:
    11-13ish. Roughly when they start secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    I got a phone when I was 15..I think it would depend entirely on the circumstances..If they go to a secondary school which is not within walking distance from where we live, then I would get them a phone at 11. If not, then probably a bit later.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I seem to agree with most people on here..
    I don't have kids, though if I did I would want them to wait until they started secondary school before they got one
    And if they moaned excessively before secondary school/it was the norm then I would probably make sure they understood it was their responsibility and that they had earned the right to a mobile phone before getting one

At that age I feel it is a treat and not a necessity, so it should be earned :yep:

ReputationRep:
    About 12-ish?

ReputationRep:
    probably when they start secondary school, that's when I got mine.

My first phone was when I was 14, and I was quite late in getting one compared to some of my peers.

Meh. I hate phones anyway, I've got one because people expect me to for some dumb reason.

ReputationRep:
    13-ish probably. I got my first phone when I was 15, but that was back in the day of the Nokia 3310, so phones weren't really as important to teenagers as they are now.

I would make sure they get the simplest phone possible though, so there's no mistaking it's for function and not to be cool to all their mates. No fancy phones until they can afford the contract!

ReputationRep:
    About 12 or 13... I don't see why an 11 year old needs a mobile.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say probably about 11, when they start secondary school, so that if they have to travel on their own, I wouldn't be worrying about them. Also, some children start going out on their own, with friends, at around 12/13, so they'd definitely have one by then!

I wouldn't say any younger though, I think it's ridiculous...I saw this kid who must have been about 6 talking on his phone during a film in the cinema, and I know a 2 year old who has an ipad (not strictly a phone, but along the same lines)!

ReputationRep:
    I got my first one when I was about 11, so around then probably.

ReputationRep:
    11 with Pay As You Go. If they get pissy about that, the phone is gone and replaced with a paper, pen and some stamps. Yes, they will be contacting their friends via post.

ReputationRep:
    year 7 however old you are then...

ReputationRep:
    When they start secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alissasantiago)
    About 12 or 13... I don't see why an 11 year old needs a mobile.
    So 12 is okay but not 11? Why does 1 year make a difference?

As soon as my child started secondary school at 11 I'd give them a mobile phone. Normally parents take their children to school and take them back from school. I'd be extremely worried if my 11 year old child was making a half hour walk to school and a half hour walk back from school by themselves everyday and didn't have a mobile phone with them. Giving one to them at 12 just takes away a whole year of protection.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.