Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

18 years old,but haven't been in any relationship.is this normal people? Watch

Yes as the title suggests.I'm first year at uni,but I'm too shy even to have friends of the opposite sex.Most people I know at my age has been in some kind of relationship but I still have none.Can people give me some advice?How should I cope with my shyness?Cheers all!xx

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it. Your best bet to cope is to simply throw yourself into situations.

ReputationRep:
    You are a girl?
    And it's completely normal. Moreso on tsr.

ReputationRep:
    Stephen is right! when I was in secondary school I was very shy and never really had any confidence, but between then and College I developed a 'whats the worst that can happen' attitude and it worked, after all girls do prefur a confident guy you just need to develop the same kind of attitude , it worked for me and now I have been in a relationship since Febuary last year. Good luck and merry Christmas

ReputationRep:
    Relax, who cares what age you have your firstt relationship, no-one is counting. You have to be comfertable with yourself and try to be more outgoing, take more chances and risks and not care what others think. Being able to be yourself around people is being less self counscious worried about who's thinking about what. the most important thing is to establish a good base of friends though

ReputationRep:
    dude relax its ok

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's normal.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that uncommon to have not had a relationship at 18. Not leaving space(s) after punctuation marks is much less normal...

TSR is the wrong place to ask, to be entirely frank. Lots of immature playas and teenage Inbetweeners wannabees who will tell you how much you suck if you're not sleeping with 11 guys simultaneously before your 16th birthday.

FWIW, I'm 23 and have never bothered getting a girlfriend. Believe me, there have been plenty of opportunities and I do kind of regret blowing some of them, but out of choice I decided to brush it all aside and concentrate on my studies. There's plenty of time to find true love (if it exists) and having a career and money is an attractive trait, so why trip yourself up getting there? Throughout university, I kept on hearing about endless relationship drama from other people and it just did my head in. I have seen people's degrees go clean off the rails because of it, and seeing as young peoples' relationships are so fragile and mercurial it makes you wonder what the point is?

Mind you, finding girls after university is going to be difficult I know.

ReputationRep:
      There is nothing wrong with that. Still plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
      I didn't have what I would deem a'real' relationship until (edit: a year) ago, just because until then I was happy sleeping around, or too immature for one. I wouldn't rush it though, relationships are nice but there are perks to being single too - all the time you have is your own! Use it the best of your advantage and work on being the person you want to be. It was when I finally said "I'm going to focus firstly on my work, secondly on my fitness and sport and finally on any girl who's in my life" that I started to look my most attractive. I say have fun and focus on you and it'll slot into place, you're doomed to fail if your mentality is "I need a relationship to be complete",because I certainly wouldn't want to go out with someone who I felt I was having to prop up from the outset.

ReputationRep:
      Definitely is normal. I didn't had a proper shiprelation until I was 18 as well.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      Yes as the title suggests.I'm first year at uni,but I'm too shy even to have friends of the opposite sex.Most people I know at my age has been in some kind of relationship but I still have none.Can people give me some advice?How should I cope with my shyness?Cheers all!xx
      being in a relationship for the sake of it isn't all its cracked up to be. i'd start with trying to make friends with people of the opposite sex. that'll make you more relaxed around them. and if someone likes you, then one day they might come up to you. or if you're confident enough, you can ask someone. but i think its better to be friends first, cause then you know what theyre like so you know if you want to go out with them.

its perfectly normal, most of the girls i know don't have boyfriends and we're 18. same with most of the boys i know! and out of the ones that are in relationships, i'd say that maybe 2 or 3 are actually happy and will last. so don't worry.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.